• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum 257 HP - Sideband TX problem.

On SSB my meter shows around 50 -80W swing even through the amp. However the calibration won't work on the meter I've got in SSB .. when I deadkey to calibrate the meter it won't move the needle (prbly cuz no carrier).. But if
I calibrate it for AM, then switch to SSB with meter still in PWR setting it shows 50-80W swing when talking.

The Calibrate feature is only needed for Checking SWR, yes you are correct that it will not calibrate on SSB when there is no Audio..... no audio means no power output on SSB.
And You only need to check SWR on AM anyway, it will still not read correct if you set it on AM and then switch to SSB, because the output is different on SSB.
The Guys are just suggesting that the 450 would be a better match for that radio than the 250.
The Pal Knockoffs using ERF 7530`s can take a lot of drive, this has been seen since they started making them, the gain is just not that high on them, but 75 or 80 into two of them is excessive.
As for the Meter on the radio not showing much output, it might be as simple as the VR for the meter in TX on SSB mode needs a tweak.

Testing that involves propagation ( talking Skip ) is not a good way to tell how well a radio/amp combination is working.
Propagation will allow you to talk half way around the world with 3 or 4 watts.
I have literally sat next to another radio operator who was running less than 20 watts, and I was running 600+, both mobile to a station in Great Falls.
The signal difference between us was not as astronomical as one would think, because the conditions were allowing us both a good path at the time.

Jeff

Reactions: 2 people
The Calibrate feature is only needed for Checking SWR, yes you are correct that it will not calibrate on SSB when there is no Audio..... no audio means no power output on SSB.
And You only need to check SWR on AM anyway, it will still not read correct if you set it on AM and then switch to SSB, because the output is different on SSB.
The Guys are just suggesting that the 450 would be a better match for that radio than the 250.
The Pal Knockoffs using ERF 7530`s can take a lot of drive, this has been seen since they started making them, the gain is just not that high on them, but 75 or 80 into two of them is excessive.
As for the Meter on the radio not showing much output, it might be as simple as the VR for the meter in TX on SSB mode needs a tweak.

Testing that involves propagation ( talking Skip ) is not a good way to tell how well a radio/amp combination is working.
Propagation will allow you to talk half way around the world with 3 or 4 watts.
I have literally sat next to another radio operator who was running less than 20 watts, and I was running 600+, both mobile to a station in Great Falls.
The signal difference between us was not as astronomical as one would think, because the conditions were allowing us both a good path at the time.

Jeff

good advise. i agree. i never owned the new pals with mosfets so cant say. byt tring to
check swr in ssb mode wont help ya a bit.with your radio id use FM cause the wont be
any needle movement. i would use 19a or 27195.

Don't start bro... Really
I come in, I post the facts, I get nerd-gickles in reply
Those are the facts

? Say What? Not sure who what this post is directed at.

Since after 12 posts here you want HONEST FACTS here you go. Your Magnum 257HP is too strong of a radio for a Palomar 250. The only way that will work is if you have the 257 de-tuned so it will only peak out at say 40 watts.

Another good amp would be the TnT 350 in this link. Something to consider.

TNT

Just because the MAX rated power for your 250 FET is 50 watts that does not mean you should run it at 50 watts all the time. In the end it's your radio gear man, run it how ya want. After you blow the amp call Redman about a warranty repair, you won't like his answer.

Anyway nuff said on this topic for me.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.