• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum 257 Report Card

Mar 2, 2006
Want to know what you guy’s thing of the Magnum 257. Hold nothing back! What do you like about it and what do you dislike about it? If you own one would you buy another?

Thanks ahead of time for your time and responses!

T.G.B.

like size and price. dislike they are still backordered. i wonder if they changed everything. i dislike the fact that the split function doesnt work after full expantion. probally doesnt matter to many people here though. i use it all the time as i run out of town i have my 2950 automatically recieve me on 26.065 and transmits on 27.2150 (our local) so i am always getting out good like im in town. i guess you could call it a repeater of sorts.

keep in mind these are the old style magnums. no topgun's no real power, and there not as loud as the current s series. i dont think there is a radio that can top it in its price range. $170 is dirt cheap for what you get, unless you look into a used 2950dx or equel.

I have one of the older ones. I put a sp-1A in it and peolpe don't know if I am in the mobile or on the base. Picks up alot of noise in the mobile.

Thanks again for your posts guys!

It's O.K. that it doesn't have the "Topgun" opt. I'm looking for a Radio I can run in my Mobile and not really have to worry about it. Yes the price range is a major plus.

They advertise getting 30 watts PEP is this realistic.

Have a great one!!

T.G.B.

I've heard a few of them on the radio both on AM and SSB , I personally was not impressed )-: most of the report cards that I have got on them were not good , especially on SSB ,I tend to talk to the local "hardcore" SSB'ers in my area and they all say pretty much the same thing about that radio ,save your money and get something better. With that said , What do you want this radio for ? 10 meters ? or cb with freeband capabilities ? or is this all about size requierments ? I'd say as far as being small and compact a Uniden PC-122 or Realistic 465 with a N kit (extra channels) installed would do you better then that radio in performance (from 40 to 80$ on Ebay) very good and solid on SSB and will hold it's own on AM......unfortunately no freq counter. Good luck to you.

I think they produce fine audio on transmit, no problem there. The RX is where the problem is, just like most exports. Plenty sensitive, not so much on the selectivity. The really get nasty in the mobile--if there is any noise to be picked up, these babies will pick it up like gangbusters. This is not so much of a problem if you run it as a base radio, like I did when I had mine. It did a nice job in that environment.

For the money, they are a pretty good deal.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.