• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum Raptor modulation help

Keith710

Jan 14, 2018
I have a Magnum Raptor that I got from eBay. It works ok on everything but the high carrier and high peak settings. Recieve is good and low power works good. But when switched to high carrier and peak, it squeels some or just sounds like talking with a mouth full of peanuts. I hooked it up in the house and checked the frequency test points and vco voltages and they were good. AM high carrier modulation is rv15(I believe) or rv7, can’t remember without checking my notes but turning it either way doesn’t help. If I turn vr14 down to a couple of watts power, then it sounds ok but only swings to 8-9 watts, which is about what it does on low power. If I turn it up to what the alignment calls for, it swings to about 70 but you don’t wanna be on the receiving end of that conversation for sure. These have the RFX amplifier installed from the factory and I don’t see any wires or missing or clipped parts so it doesn’t appear to be any crazy mods done. Anybody have any experience with these radios? Maybe a bad limiter or something bad in the amp section? If I can’t figure it out I’ll get it to a shop but shops are getting hard to find, you all know that. Had one close but COVID claimed it recently.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.