• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum S-6 ... Which Amp?

parker420

Dec 21, 2005
Kentucky
Hi, I am fairly new to the radio world, and have a Magnum S-6. I was thinking of putting a IMAX 2000 up and running as a base also. What amp would be a good match? also looked at a wolf antenna as well. Is it a must to have a radio with ssb? Any help and suggestions are appreciated.

What kind of amp?Thats more up to you then anything.The reason i say that is how much do you want to spend?You can get a good base amp for less than $400.00 but if you want max power then you are most likely looking at over a $1.000.If you really want a good sounding station then spend the money on the best antenna and coax you can afford.Get it up as high as you safely can,the higher the better and then worrie about a linear.Because if you take the cheap way and do a half azzed job setting you antenna system up then it will not matter how much power you run.Most of the time all i use is a connex 4600 turbo with a 50 amp power supply and a Imax 2000 about 60 feet in the air and talk all over the US.A lot of the locals think im running more power then i really am but thats not the case.I just took my time did everything right(antenna hight and the best coax i could find)and made sure that it was very well grounded.Go post this question on the antenna section and listen to what they tell you.alot of people here are more then willing to help you get it right!

Thanks ....

That makes sense.... also .... is SSB really needed?.... my S-6 has no SSB.... guess I should have studied more and maybe went with the S-9.

An S9 also has ssb and unless you want to talk on ssb then no you dont need it.ssb does not take anything away from the performance of the radio so dont worrie about it.Try ssb some time like ch 38 lsb you can talk all over the world with very little power.Who knows,you may like it!

Parker, I would first get up and on the air with your antenna as high as possible with the best quality antenna you can afford. That said you might look at the antennas at A-1 on the bottom section of the forum here, they are exellent.

When you do decide to get some power you must consider what you want to spend, tubes or transistor,how much power you are looking for, and if it is transistor are you going to run a mobile on a power supply or an actual base amp that plugs into the wall.

That said just remember, a guy with a great antenna 100 feet in the air straight radio will whipp your tail on a cheapo antenna 30 feet in the air even with say 250 watts. And with your 250 watts low to the ground you might be getting into all your neighbors stuff as well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.