• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum S3 no receive volume

Kung Fu Panda

Jul 5, 2018
Who’s the magnum expert here. S3 no receive volume. On off pot was bent so replaced it no change. Receive is working meters moving transmit is good talkback works and PA works. Checked for broken wires and cold or broken solder joints. Any ideas where to look next.

Not an expert on anything but as to your issue.

You mentioned that the PA worked so I would assume that the 1/2 of your mode switch that switches ground for your PA jack, External Speaker jack and Internal Speaker is working:

1668931494545.png

If that is true then check C197 and C196 (mismarked as R196) have not shorted to Chassis ground. If those are ok, then check the relay on the talkback PCB to make sure it is working OK.

Turn off Talkback - do you now have audio? If so, there is a component on the TB board that is bad. If not, then the relay is bad.

1668932180884.png

With the radio off, there should be continuity between 5 & 7 on J14 (and 7 & 2 on P14).

Good Luck

Reactions: Kung Fu Panda
Not an expert on anything but as to your issue.

You mentioned that the PA worked so I would assume that the 1/2 of your mode switch that switches ground for your PA jack, External Speaker jack and Internal Speaker is working:

View attachment 61436

If that is true then check C197 and C196 (mismarked as R196) have not shorted to Chassis ground. If those are ok, then check the relay on the talkback PCB to make sure it is working OK.

Turn off Talkback - do you now have audio? If so, there is a component on the TB board that is bad. If not, then the relay is bad.

View attachment 61437

With the radio off, there should be continuity between 5 & 7 on J14 (and 7 & 2 on P14).

Good Luck
Thank you.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated