• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum S380

Well I have to say that I'm very pleased with my S9. Right out of the box there was nothing wrong with it, nothing to touch or tune or attempt to peak out. Maybe I got a good one OR maybe I've never owned a really good radio then and I don't know any better.

If so many people are unhappy with the Magnum radios they bought, then for sure they complained, right? If they did, including the people posting negative about them in this post, then wouldn't Magnum do something to improve their product? Wouldn't any company that wants to stay in business? For sure they wouldn't keep doing things wrong and ignoring the publics opinion and feedback.

If these radios are so terrible, then why are there so many people that see satisfied with them, myself included? What are the 'good' radios being offered today then? Not everybody wants to ride around with a 20 yr old radio strapped to their dash and you can't hold that against them either. I think a lot of the bashing, and not just on Magnum, is because people tend to dislike what they don't understand. If you're pleased with 20 yr old radios and the technology inside them, then cracking open a modern day SMD radio would cause you to say negative things about it. Just like all the things that people said when cars first started coming out with fuel injection after the carb had been around for so long. And just like fuel injection is now the standard and out performs the carb, modern day radios (IE Magnums design) will just need a little refinement and tuning to leave 20 yr old designs in the dust.

Just my thoughts though and my opinion & we all have our own.

I had issues with control knobs and lighting on the couple I owned. I will say that an email was sent to Magnum and parts were supplied at no charge. In another instance one radio was returned to Magnum (out of so-called warranty) and was repaired at no charge except for shipping.

I have no problem with the company, only the quality of the equipment.

Agreed.....Their customer service is top notch. Quality of product is not. Be nice to see them offer a 2 year warrany like Galaxy does

You guys ever see the movie Tommy Boy?

Remember what he told that dude about a guarentee?

If you build a quality radio why does it need to be warrantied forever?

I find that if you use the product for what it was intended you usually don't have any problems with it and you won't have a need for a warranty...most of the time.

And yes..there customer service is top notch. But how about somebody compile that list so I can see what I'm missing. Somebody suggest a good or the perfect radio then...seriously I want to see what it is my S9 is lacking.

I'm not trying to be smart or nothing like that...I'm being serious. I want to compare it myself.

Bottom line is ALL exports suck..The newer Cobra's and Unidens suck also. :p I have had more than my share of them and I sold them all. I finally woke up and now the only CB's I run are a Uniden Grant and a Cobra 148(Phillipine made) One exception is a 2970DX(I use it as a base radio). I would like an ICOM but I'm just a poor trucker :( On the Grant and the 148(NOT THE CHINESE ONE's) the RX/TX is far superior than anything made to day IMO. Sure they don't show all those big numbers on your little watt meter but the audio is just awesome. I can buy more watts :D .

Justin, I had an Icom 746 Pro and for SSB it is good but not for AM out of the box.( I understand that a mod might fix this but not easily done). I think a 746 Non Pro would be a better choice or for the money a 706mk11G. I own a Kenwood 450SAT and have been pleased with it. A little noisy but good audio in all modes.

I agree that the old Cobra 148(Philippines), Uniden Grant Xl, and maybe a Grant Lt would be the way to go if one was looking for a AM/SSB cb radios. There are a few others but hard to find.

I have had good luck with the Channnel Guard filters. They reduce the adjacent channel rejection. I know you don't like the fact that they amplify a bit to make up for the insertion loss but I think they can be worthwhile.

I have had fewer problems with the Northpoint Radios than the Magnums. I have been told by Stan that they are made in the same factory in China. Northpoint is a spinnoff of Northstar. Stan Wells owns Northpoint.

I don't know as much as Justin. I don't believe in every mod that he does but he uses good theory. He is not a cut and yank for no good reason. He upgrades radios. How many people out there can say they work or have worked for Yaesu( a major two way, vhf marine, aviation, and hf manufacture)?

If your goal is to sound clear and loud stay away from radio butchers. As many have said get a good alignment, upgrade your radio's components, and get a better antenna system. Your radio won't sound like junk and it may even last awhile.

I own a radio shop in Central Florida. The radios the locals and truck drivers bring in are just crazy. Yank this and pull that and in the end I fix them or try my best to fix them.

I recently had a conversation with Freecell. Talk about theory!! He even said some things that I did not understand and he took the time to explain to me. Thanks Jack.

Enjoy the hobby and take it easy.

whats wrong with paltalk?, its easy to use and free, you can use a locked room only invite who you want to talk to, if you let me in i would be all ears and an open mind :D

best radio?

I'm new to this forum, so maybe one of you can tell me something to explain this thing I see.
I am a little concerned by the slamming different manufacturers here and on other forums.
I don't think that stryker has been out long enough for most anyone to have much of an impression about them. (A few techs who have seen the inside excepted)
Magnum has, and I see and hear alot of people who use them and like them. Ranger by most anyones account have some great radios, 2950- 2970, as well as a couple good cb's.
The same can be said for most any of them, depending on who did what inside.

What I would like to know is why so many people are taking the time to slam a radio manufacturer, be it Stryker, Magnum or whoever? I personally don't have any use for a Cobra 19wx or such, but some people do and are happy with them. I think that there are better radios, sure. However, for the guy who is running one and perfectly happy. Why rain on his parade?
I have noticed that it always seems to be a none technical answer as well. I don't find the word "junk" very descriptive of the flaws in design or whatever.
Can anyone tell me why this is happening? I guess I'm just hoping for better descriptions and more "real electronic termed" evaluations.
marven :roll:

export radios

Thanks, thats kind of what I thought. Some hidden agenda, and no real evaluation, just opinion of "you should pick a different something cus I say so". lol
I've been hoping for a report of switch a is better built than switch b because, however, guess that's just wishful thinking.
Anyway, thanks for confirming what I thought. ha

Marven,

If you like the Magnum Radios. In the end thats all that matters. In a Technical Comparison I have noticed that some perform better than others.

s3-80

I'd just appreciate a little honest evaluation, side by side comparisons. I've seen it suggested several times and never any takers. Especially the parts comparisons.
I know everyone is busy, but I think it would be very benificial to everyone. ( Manufacturers, techs, dealers and the end users.)
Kind of a "consumers guide" type thing.

I have a Magnum S-680 and I can tell you that I get unsolicited reports all the time on how excellent the radio sounds. Had it tuned up after I owned it for several months by Jack at 292 Radio Shop.

I use a DP-56 Mic with the Magnum S-680 and it sounds great...even by my very particular and difficult to satisfy quality standards.

Jack tuned it the way I like ... which is for best performance and audio quality without the typical over-modulated, over-driven, raspy, distorted sound that I hear all too often from other "tuned" rigs.

While, I do have a very technical background myself in audio / video engineering .... I must admit that I am not an RF Engineer. However, I do understand many of the engineering principles and practices related to quality design and superior performance. The Magnum Radios meet my criteria for a high performance radio with high quality audio that gets out.

Also, I have spoken to Sam who is the owner of RF Limited / Magnum, numerous times. I am impressed with his knowledge, perseverance, and his desire to push the envelope with new designs, features, and performance standards that raise the bar while creating tough competition for all other manufacturers.

Magnum makes a great product and that comes from one of the pickiest and most difficult to satisfy buyers anyone would care to meet.

Rich
Producer's Guild of America
New Media Council

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut:
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,
    +1