• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum s45HP SSB

this thread can be deleted. it is VR114 for ssb carrier. booya
ssb rf power turn up high 75w. rf power medium about 25w.
turned down am variable rf low 1 1.2 dk swing 50w on STX.
MTX 90w.
rf power up all the way 6w dk swing to 90w. so mtx 90w stx 50w pep.
ssb 75w pep. pretty good in my opinion.
rfx gets extremely hot w/o a fan so i fanned it up, stays cool and so far no warble on ssb.... YET :)

FM receive on the S45HP is notoriously bad. I suspect that the girls on the calibration assembly line aren't trained properly. The problem seems to be that the discriminator is poorly adjusted. You can adjust the discriminator yourself:

If you own a calibrated RF signal generator, set it for any 27 Mhz frequency. Set it for approximately 3 microvolts. Turn on the modulation. Set it for FM. Locate L104. Carefully adjust L104 for minimum distortion. You will have to compromise between minimum distortion and maximum audio.

Alternatively, you can have someone say "a-a-a-a-a-u-d-i-o", while you adjust L104.

Good luck.

this thread can be deleted. it is VR114 for ssb carrier. booya
ssb rf power turn up high 75w. rf power medium about 25w.
turned down am variable rf low 1 1.2 dk swing 50w on STX.
MTX 90w.
rf power up all the way 6w dk swing to 90w. so mtx 90w stx 50w pep.
ssb 75w pep. pretty good in my opinion.
rfx gets extremely hot w/o a fan so i fanned it up, stays cool and so far no warble on ssb.... YET :)

can ya turm up mic gain now?

can ya turm up mic gain now?

iv always been able to adjust mic gain.
FM will be fixed on the receive end. soon
what i can tellis FM was set too wide.......i thought of redoing a circuit for making the radio have wide fm and narrow.

iv always been able to adjust mic gain.
FM will be fixed on the receive end. soon
what i can tellis FM was set too wide.......i thought of redoing a circuit for making the radio have wide fm and narrow.
Hmmmm.... the FM performance of the OPTIMA radio is excellent. I should try and examine it's circuitry, ans compare it to the S45.

Don't tell me his quality service has slipped up....

Just do a search on this forum, or other forums for that matter.I know Sparky can do good radio work but he has developed a bad rep because of his shitty person to person skills and the fact that he says that he does not remove the modulation limiter in his tune ups.That statement is true, he doesn't remove them but disables them which is basically the same thing.

Just do a search on this forum, or other forums for that matter.I know Sparky can do good radio work but he has developed a bad rep because of his shitty person to person skills and the fact that he says that he does not remove the modulation limiter in his tune ups.That statement is true, he doesn't remove them but disables them which is basically the same thing.

i asked sparkys tech;s not to touch the inside. nothing was touched from what i can tell. UNLESS they used plastic screw drivers on the case screws. but those were so tite i had to use a screw gun.

I've been searching. I've always had good luck with Sparkys. But now I'm hearing horror stories. I believe he recently moved his shop and expanded help instead of being a few man operation.

All this negativity has me thinking. I found the same radio on eBay for $299 plus $25 to ship it. And i don't believe they even open the radio either. It makes me wonder if I should spend the extra coin.

The S45HP does not require any peaking, tweaking or tuning. They work excellent out of the box. The only thing required is frequency conversion, which is dead easy. I recommend buying it from any reliable dealer. Don't ask for "peaking & tuning". I got mine, dead stock from a local dealer (who is a ham). He does the frequency set-up only if asked. Mine came stock, set up for 10M only, (default mode). I set it up for "CON2", dual service or "stealth mode". (10M and Expanded, switchable.)

If the radio comes without any "warranty seals", then just open it and set it up according to the frequency set up instructions attached below.

Unless you are a licensed ham, you will want to set it up for "CON3".

Attachments

• omegaforce_s45_hp_freq_info.pdf
    180.8 KB · Views: 14
well i gotta say. i bought my magnum omega [non hp] from coppers .i DID have them
do the freq. canversion cause i didnt wanna mess with it. but for what its worth
they dont remove/ disable any limiters.ive had it 3 years no problem.i know
some have issues with them but they never done me wrong .i did open up
the audio more but that was it

Hey list, I just discovered this forum and thread. I Look forward to future contributions.

I want to get back to Morse123's original post. I too thought I saw the same problem on my S45HP.

Recently, I just had my S45HP serviced under Sam's warranty service center in Tennessee for other reasons. I asked if they can check the SSB carrier balance. They told me there is no adjustment for SSB carrier balance anymore (vr108) and it's now done with a double diode circuit and has no adjustment. Anyway, they did a full re-alignment and stated they saw an acceptable (less than .3w) of carrier on SSB.

turn it up ....and...... you have a DK on SSB even with the mic gain at ZERO. how is this possible?

Yes, I saw this too. About 5-7w of rms power in my ext meter while in ssb mode.

I then tried transmitting the radio into a 50 ohm dummy load and it was fine. It was on par with what the shop claimed.

I've decided to leave the radio alone and look into the possibility of the problem being something with my coax/antenna connections.

this thread can be deleted. it is VR114 for ssb carrier.

Be careful. Looking at the circuit, vr114 looks like a bias control for the first 2030 and may not be specific for SSB carrier control. Sure, it might seem like it's doing what you want, but you may also be changing the available wanted and needed deadkey amount on AM.

jk

---
Magnum S45HP
Xforce TNT 600HD
two Kinetik HC600
Pred10k

Last edited:
Just to hi jack this a bit. My s45HP has been operating very well but of late people are reporting that my signal is fluctuating in strength. I notice that when I turn the radio on the receive will increase in strength if I key the microphone.

I did read somewhere that the RFX75 that power these can suffer from a poor connection . ?????

Anyone suffered the same symptoms and what would be the culprit. Microphone problem or other?

cheers

Bruce

OZ

Just to hi jack this a bit. My s45HP has been operating very well but of late people are reporting that my signal is fluctuating in strength. I notice that when I turn the radio on the receive will increase in strength if I key the microphone.

I did read somewhere that the RFX75 that power these can suffer from a poor connection . ?????

Anyone suffered the same symptoms and what would be the culprit. Microphone problem or other?

cheers

Bruce

OZ
I've had one in the shop and three months after repair it has another problem. Now it has hardly no modulation and suddenly has full swing the back to nothing. Two diff mics, two issues back to back... what a radio... waste of money

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.