• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum S9 or S45 ?

ncblt

Feb 26, 2011
I mainly run AM but hit SSB when skip is running. I am looking for a mobile unit and have a few boxes ( straight 4,8 and a 4x12) so the amp is not a decider.

Which radio do you prefer and why ?

Either one is great; never had the S9. But a friend does and I lke the way it sounds. Have two S45 - great radios. I don't use the talkback and echo; the SSB and AM performance are top notch - IMO . . .

I don't run linears; so I can't say about that one.

Just trying to justify the price difference.

Had a S9 that a thief wanted before I ever powered up.

Just my 2 cents, I have both along with a Magnum Delta Force, I think the S45 will be a little more stable on SSb but once the S9 has been on for 10 minutes it stays dead on also. The display on the S9 is a lot easier to go to a half channel or anyplace you want to so really it's a toss up but I use my Omega Force or Delta Force a lot more than I use the S9

Depends what your application is. For general CB and freeband use, the S45 is excellent. Very, very stable, excellent audio, both AM and SSB. It has certain adjustable frequency features that make it versatile. Plus relatively high power, makes it very attractive. The only thing I don't like about it is the 5 digit display. For amateur use, it has full 10M coverage, repeater splits, and an undocumented feature: 88.5Hz subaudible tone.

The advantage of the S9 series is 6-digit display, but unfortunately for amateur use, it doesn't have repeater splits, or subaudible tones. For general CB and freeband use, that isn't a concern.

I'm looking to acquire an S9-175 soon. (I'm also looking at the RCI-Ranger 68FFC2, but that is another thread.)

both are good and will work with your straight4 pill amp easily
simply put
s45 -basically like a 2950 with memory ect but much better on am with the top gun
s9no momory or scan but has a 6 digit display and big round meterr
either one will work great 4 ya when i got mine i compared features
and imho i think the s45 is way ahead on features especially if ya
go below or above 40. the s45 will store frequency and mode .not even
a 2950 can do that.so id base it on what YOU want from your radio

A s9 w a straight 4 pill will kick arse!. Even w out the 4 pill it still kicks arse. I would stay away from S980. Go with the S9 and your golden. It does drift a bit on ssb when cold. But after a little while its fine. I can turn down my rf power to DK 1w or up to 10w. Swings +45w. Also no need for a power mic because the stock mic is a screamer..I was told to stay away from power mics on the S9 because of what i just stated and i did. I get told now and then to back down the mic gain because of how loud it is. You dont need an amp because its a screamer of a radio. But...... a 4 pill will make it that much better. I worked the super bowl the other morning and locked down the channel for over 1 hr(my morning commute) on just 1w! The amp wasnt even in line. Im sure conditions were more in my favor but still, any radio that can lock down the super bowl on 1w is a/ok in my book.

I also run a Predator 10k
TS500v

Thanks for all the replies.
Think I will go for the S9 as I have a 2950 and a 148 for SSB.
Next questions, where to buy the S9? I have read the S9 is already aligned, so do I really need to pay anyone to turn up the modulation ?

i would go with the mag257hp or 45...every s9 or the other versions dont sound good mbl very noisey and drift on ssb...i have a 257hp and 2950dx had a s9 for a few days,and someone with a noisey motor,bad plugs or alt go by i heard it.73s de JW

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.