• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum S9 what do you think??

Funny you said that! I bought the 2950DX that had a 2970DX faceplate on it!
I thought I was buying a 70! I know, I know all about the heat sink thing NOW, but I didn't then!
Anyway I have a 2995 DX as well and get better reports on the 2950 DX.

Sorry about the side track here!!!

I got a Magnum S9 on the way. It is the 45watt version im guessing the non mosfet version. What do you guys think about the S9? I will be using it mainly on AM and sometimes on SSB. Is it LOUD on AM? Also how hard is it to install the SX-175 to this radio?

Thanks again!

The S9s sound only average on AM without the echo on. Turn on the echo/reverb and the audio jumps to attention......kind of phoney, but if you like echo buy one.

2RT307 the Ranger was not fixable, but it was a very fine rig and very strong on SSB. The main board was toast but the amp section was still good and the guy with the S9 had a 2970N2 with a burned amp section. That's the reason we swapped.

I'll let you guys know how I make out with the S9.

Sounds like a win/win for both of you. Post up some pics when you get it and check it out!

RT307

My S9 rocks

I have a S9 in my van and have been happy with it for the past 3 years. It is one of the best radios on AM and SSB I ever owned. I have it set for a 1 watt dead key and it will swing to 35 watts. I don't use the echo and everyone says I have great audio. I use a handheld D104 mic for AM and the stock mic for SSB(love that second mic plug.) The power mic is too high pitched on SSB. My only advice is that if you use it with a amp that has driving pills do not turn the compressor on. The radio will spike up to 8-10 watts on key up even with it set for a 1 watt dead key. I also run the Omegaforce S45HP in my base station and that radio rocks too.

Over the years I have had 3 S9 radios. First one, used worked great. Sold it to get a new one with Mosfets, got it from GI Joes, had an issue from day one, someone hacked the audio circuit. After a trip to the Magnum repair shop got it back and still was not 100%. Sold it for another used one with 1969 finals, that one worked SUPER after having the CPU replaced, some goof ball shorted it out trying to do some kind of mod. So all in all an S9 left alone works fine, those golden screwdriver guys need to leave them alone.
I hear now they are out of production, guess Magnum is going to rely on the S45, old name Omega, for their top of the line radio.

Whatever is on the front panel behind the channel selector, anything I did to the jumpers would only get like 30 of the 11 meter channels, tried the reset and that didn't work either. It had a few blobs of solder over a few joints on that board also so someone tried to do something

Update...

I now own a S9-175 and compared to the 447-TS350 it replaced...it kicks butt. It is very quiet compared to the 447 and I seem to hear at longer distance. I also get better reports.

Reactions: 1 person
did ya have someone put on a xx-175 or did ya judst get a whole different radio?
i liked my magnums, my only complaint was the band tuning. a,b,c,d,e,f, i perfer
a vfo like a 2950,5010,2510,ect

did ya have someone put on a xx-175 or did ya judst get a whole different radio?
i liked my magnums, my only complaint was the band tuning. a,b,c,d,e,f, i perfer vfo like a 2950,5010,2510,ect

The 175 was added by the previous owner. This is the first magnum that I have owned and I am really impressed with the S9...so much so I just bought a S6-80 for my other car.

Reactions: 1 person
Just recently looked at the schematic of this radio. Looks like a modded 3600 chassis. So it should work like a Galaxy DX-77/88/99 radio with a TopGun compressor and modulator added. Some better quality parts here and there; that's about it . . .

Last edited:
I used to own a Magnum S9, got one out of the first batch of radios that came out with the 1969 finals in them, it and was tuned to talk its best on AM.....ran that radio in 2 different trucks for a 4 years and then in the house on a ps.....

Used it driving several different amps over the years, ran it 5 years total and ended up selling it to a guy on here, far as I know he still uses it....

Those S9 radios that have the 1969 finals in them that's the radio want...excellent radios, loud modulation, and drives amps really well....

They have a clean and clear sound on rx, tx...they sound better with the original stock mic on them too...

I even tried that S9 I had, on a PS on the base going into a 4 pill hd, and did a fine job there as well....I used it on SSB, it did ok....its not as good as a RCI, but did ok..

I have had very good experiences with Magnum S-9 radios. They hear fantastic, transmit well and after a bit of a warm up stay dead on frequency nothing like the sail boat Galaxy line.

Attachments

• magnum s9 73012.jpg
    magnum s9 73012.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 4
I will answer this from the perspective of someone that has tuned one up, following the book... now keep in mind I am a hobbiest and this was 1 radio, so maybe it was a turd

the frequency counter was WAY off and could not be adjusted to read correctly, unless you let the radio warm up for about 2 or 3 hours, keep in mind this was all done on a radio that was in doors all it's life... there just was not enough adjustment on that counter

I also found that the radio liked to drift, I had an old Galaxy 88HL and it did not drift much at all once it warmed up, the magnum on the other hand was all over the board, but then again I had a 959 that was the absolute king of drift

You should have saved your money and got a smaller used ham rig...

Just recently looked at the schematic of this radio. Looks like a modded 3600 chassis. So it should work like a Galaxy DX-77/88/99 radio with a TopGun compressor and modulator added. Some better quality parts here and there; that's about it . . .

that was the first thing I thought when I cracked one open nearly 2 years ago

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.