• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Making my analyzer wireless.

The DB

Aug 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I am looking at ways I could make my AIM4170C analyzer completely wireless. I have seen where several people used a rs232 to blootooth adapter, however I am not a fan of blootooth.

Instead I opted for a wireless USB hub, in this case an IOGear GUWP204.

I set it up, as well as my laptop to use the hotspot feature on my cell phone, connected it all up, and it works.

aim4170_iogear_guwp204.jpg

Now I need a battery pack that will provide 12 volts and enough current for both devices, and a smaller RS232 cable (6 feet is just to long for this type of setup).

Then I will see about packaging them all in one package, which will be interesting as I need access to each device for power buttons and lights. As much as I hate to admit it they will likely end up just being zip-tied together... Or perhaps I can get away with a case with holes cut in a side for the front of the AIM4170C and the back of the IOGear GUWP204, as well as a window installed for the lights on the USB Hub.

The DB

Reactions: 2 people

Pushing forward. I first took an 8 AA bettery case giving me a 12 volt power supply, then attached a power cord from each device to it. Tested the setup, it supplies enough current to run both devices at once.

Next I permanently attached the RS232 to USB adapter to the AIM eliminating the need for the six foot male to female RS232 cable that came with it. To do that I first had to remove the hex bolts (is that what they are called) from the RS232 port on the AIM, then take the cover off and start them from the back of the plug. I screwed them in just enough to start coming through the outside of the case. I then put the AIM's cover on but left a slot I could use a nut driver through. The case for the USB adapter was to wide to fit in the slot for the RS232 port, so I removed it as well. While holding the the USB adapter in place I was able to screw the hex bolts into the adapter using a nut driver. I then put the cases back on both devices and tested, they still work.

Next I look into packaging...

This shows the two devices hooked up with all of the parts I would need access to outside of a case of some sort on one side.
aimmod_side2.jpg

This shows the far side, including the permanent mounting of the USB adapter.
aimmod_side1.jpg

The DB

I haven't found a box that fits it like I want and is both strong and light enough for my tastes. When I find a box I will permanently mount them in the box with holes cut for various lights, buttons, and plugs. I have simply zip tied them together for the time being. I am still looking for a case to put it in, but am a bit sidetracked at the moment.

It still works well. I have not had any issues as of yet.

Here is a ⅝λ wavelength 2 meter mobile antenna plot of a friends antenna scanned through this setup. Unfortunately we could not calibrate out the 15 or so feet of RG-58 coax that is permanently attached to the antenna. Its not showing here, but this antenna also has a low SWR/resonant point in the 6 meter band. We checked the packaging and it is only advertised as a 2 meter antenna, it said nothing about 6 meters.

2meterantennaplot.jpg

The DB

DB,
About that, "...also has a low SWR/resonant point in the 6 meter band". A 5/8 w 2 meter antenna's length is very close to a 6 meter 1/4 w antenna's length. That's why you are seeing that 'dip' on 6 meters. There are a couple of commercial antennas making use of that fact to market a 6m, 2m, and 70 cm antenna. Harmonics can be useful at times.
- 'Doc

You are correct, they are close. Not the same but about half a foot of difference. I've not noticed that before as I've not personally done anything with 6 meters...

The DB

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.