• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Malaysia Cobra 148 GTL, no TX on ssb

Jan 6, 2017
Thanks in advance for reading, and hopefully making some suggestions. I believe the radio is a 1995 year or close to it, with a EPT014810Z board. On side band, (both usb and lsb) it does not swing the meter needle on the radio, nor does it produce any needle swing on the swr/power meter (Radio Shack 21-534) with a loud voice or whistle. In AM mode, there is needle swing on the CB, and on the swr/power meter, AM seems to work as it should. The TX light does change when the mike is keyed on both ssb and AM. Both ssb and AM receive well. I think the Mic and cord connections are ok, as AM works as it should. Even though the TX light does change on key up on ssb, it just is not making it though. Thank you.

NOTE: Problem solved. After inspecting the component side of the board, there looked to be some odd wiring going on. There was a green wire soldered to the large transformer, which did not look like a stock set up. After reviewing the schematic for proper jumper wires, it was found that JP7 and JP7a did not match. It was put back to stock, and it now has great sideband audio and power! I'm thinking someone may have attempted to "volt the final".

Reactions: Robb

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.