• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Marconi testing the Starduster, I-10K, Wolf Radio .64

Marconi

Usually if I can hear em' I can talk to em'.
Oct 23, 2005
Houston
Just got thru with one month of testing the SD'r and the I-10K and now have replaced the SD'r with the .64. Full results of above testing and some scattered results of the I-10K and the .64 are in the Pictures section. Sorry about the wide screen.

Marconi's Stuff

King, I am impressed so far, but I didn't expect a real big difference as my few Signal reports indicate. You can look in my link to the Signal Report above and see my few results thus far.

I know that the .64 is not as strongly built as Jay's antenna, but I believe it is perfectly adequate for most installs. Most of the reports thus far, where I have asked for a signal report, have indicated that there is a slight edge with the I-10K. I also get some local reports of the opposite response, just like I did with the Starduster testing over a two month period.

With the few skip contacts I have made so far, the .64 is said to be noticably louder, but I have not thus far seen any differences in skip signals even while things tend to go up and down. I can generally switch fast enough to get a clue as to what is going on.

I set the gamma tune and the overall length just as Eddie instructed and went up with it and it was dead on frequency. My overall tip length came out to be 1/2" longer than Eddie said it should for 11 meters. But he tuned for 27.255 and I tuned for 27.205 and maybe that made the difference.

Eddie also dimples the lower segments so there is no guess work to measurements, except top section and of course for the gamma device. I will suggest that any one getting one of these to remove the vertical element from the base and measure for overall length that way, guessing where the bottom is in the base will probably get you into trouble with the tune. But just as a clue there is a small round headed screw in the middle of the base of the antenna and that is where the bottom sits to measure. This is not noted in the documentation. The docs are very good however and the antenna is very easy to assemble. I had it up in less than two full hours.

I also think the base needs to be maybe 6" longer allowing for more mast to ride inside as support for the antenna. Also a double wall segment about 4' long inside the very base of the stinger would be a nice strengthing move for the element to base area. I also replaced the three top hose clamps with larger ones to insure a good contact. The ones that came with the antenna are small and they won't take much tightning. Of course it could be said that they don't need much either, with that small tubing. Just my opinion.

The .64 antenna is generally quiter than the I-10K at all times. I find this to be the case with antennas that have a direct connection to the ground, like in the I-10K. It is not much, but it is noticable.

i expected the .64 and I-10K would be close..
only thing i would like see on the I-10K is a longer portion to hook to the mast at bottom of antenna..
it could stand another 8 to 12 inches

Later

Marconi said:
The .64 antenna is generally quiter than the .64 at all times.
:?: :?: :?:

KingCobra_CDX882 said:
only thing i would like see on the I-10K is a longer portion to hook to the mast at bottom of antenna..it could stand another 8 to 12 inches
It's plenty long enough and provides plenty of support for 100MPH+ winds!

MC posted:

Marconi wrote:
The .64 antenna is generally quiter than the .64 at all times.

Thanks MC, I fixed that to I-10K.

KingCobra_CDX882 wrote:
only thing i would like see on the I-10K is a longer portion to hook to the mast at bottom of antenna..it could stand another 8 to 12 inches

It's plenty long enough and provides plenty of support for 100MPH+ winds!

I was comparing the more than adaquate base in the I-10k when I made my comments about the inadaquate short base in the .64. The I-10K is a very fine antenna all around. I believe the .64 will prove out to be just as good. I have contended for a long while that most of these better 11 meter ground planes are all about the same even the little old 1/4 wave I like so much.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.