• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Marconi

DXman

Yes, that's 3100 degrees F. Nine yrs of hard work.
Apr 5, 2005
West Coast - Washington
I think you're in a sparsely populated area so this might not work out for you, but if you have somebody nearby, local so to speak, that also has a horizontal beam, and maybe as well a vertical up and working like you, could you do a few simple signal tests with him, comparing each of your horizontal signals to your verticals and see if you can see a signal or audio difference?
DISCLAIMER:
First off, I am not a fan of trying to figure out how a antenna works, have no need to know, don't want to know. If the antenna does not work good, then I throw it away and buy another one! It's like the engine in my truck, have no need to know how it works, as long as it gets me were I want to go!

Ok, now as far as the I10K goes. I have notice that this antenna does pick up local signals that are horizontal some times fairly good. Mostly at a distance of 25-35 miles, but, only when the tx station has his beam pointing in my direction.

But also, these stations were running just 3 element Yagi's or 2 element V quads, so not much of a real comparison here. Location's make a big difference too.

So why does the 10K received the horizontal signal so good, I don't know, for this antenna has only been up for a couple years and prior to that....I've had no vertical antenna for the 30 yrs before that.

DISCLAIMER:
First off, I am not a fan of trying to figure out how a antenna works, have no need to know, don't want to know. If the antenna does not work good, then I throw it away and buy another one! It's like the engine in my truck, have no need to know how it works, as long as it gets me were I want to go!

Ok, now as far as the I10K goes. I have notice that this antenna does pick up local signals that are horizontal some times fairly good. Mostly at a distance of 25-35 miles, but, only when the tx station has his beam pointing in my direction.

But also, these stations were running just 3 element Yagi's or 2 element V quads, so not much of a real comparison here. Location's make a big difference too.

So why does the 10K received the horizontal signal so good, I don't know, for this antenna has only been up for a couple years and prior to that....I've had no vertical antenna for the 30 yrs before that.

NB said about the same regarding the antenna maybe responding a little better to horizontal signals that others that he used, namely his Imax. When I noticed the response here, I was comparing my A99 with my A/P to a buddy that had an A99 and his 5 element yagi up like yours at about 40' feet and we saw a notable difference in that close up testing for the idea.

Thanks Larry, you like DX and I like understanding antennas, all is good.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.