• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

maverick 250

hi, if the keying circuit is original it uses a 12aq5 tube for the relay and usually caused the trouble you are having. tx input is 3-5 watts to allow tube to operate.
I put a simple transistor keying circuit in its place using a tip 120 etc.. search rf keying cicuits, and you should find plenty of info

If your going to work on a tube amp yourself you better know what your doing, they do bite and bite hard.

9C1 Driver is right. do not try to repair a tube amp if you are not experienced in high voltage. there is no second chance. do not attempt any repair that I myself do to my own equipment. take it to a tech. , and have him do the conversion. the info I provided was an possible answer to your question. hope it helped.

thanks guys. i was thinking the circuit. always like to get others thoughts. oh by the way . i am well educated on those high voltages, and the effects their of. SNAP! their bite is worse than the bark. lol

10-4 there Coax145. Tube amp and radio repair is getting to be a lost art. Maybe an old tube expert will see this thread and chime in. Good luck with it, hope you get it working.

hi coax145, did you get the chatter problem fixed? I've been repairing and homebrewing amps for over 20 years. check the ssb cap. and switch. the switch may seem to work, but the contact points may be fused internally. should have around 400 v rec, 200v trans. on keying tube plate. also check the input inductor if it has been over driven the inductance may not be to specs. should be around 39uh. keying tube plate voltage is from hv center tap on one of the trannys. if voltage is low, check other tranny center tap. if to specs change center tap to keying tube plate. be careful, one hand in pocket, someone else in room. 73's soretooth

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.