• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maxlog M8800 Owners

radiosw

Feb 8, 2013
And similar radios like the br9000 and probably the 5555 likes .

If that Transistor to the rear and on the left side panel plays up like mine has been doing for awhile and just a hour ago finally stopped working all one has to do to get the radio up and still running in a emergency is to >>

1>Remove the transistor

2>Short out the collector and emitter tracks on the pcb with a bit of wire

That's it , the RF power control will not work , and NO am allowed as that is the transistor that drops the finals voltage for am , so for SSB users only the above will get the radio up and running until one gets a new transistor , its also on AM that that is the transistor that gets Stinking hot btw .

In this radio its a TIP36 in that TO3 plastic style , in the br9000 its a 2SB688 , its Q55 on the BR9000 schemmy , have not looked in 5555 schemmy yet .

I'm waiting for a NTE37 to turn up and try it in there (around 2 weeks to go) and going to order a TIP36 soon .

The symptom's were no tx RF out even though radio said it was tx'ing , it would just stop with no output all of a sudden and then start again , very intermittent as it had no regular style , sometimes days or weeks went by without it playing up , the first thing it seemed like was a crook mic or mic connection , if it played up by the time one took the covers off it had come good .

Do check the wire link with ferrite bead from +dc to the collector , especially that the wire goes through the board completely and is soldered correctly just in case .

After time things got gradually worse and then one can find the trouble so I'm very happy mine finally went , inside the transistor goes to a open between the collector and emitter YAY !

cheers all ..

Update just for info>
The NTE37 does work exactly like the original , I did not have to adjust anything (the power low/high) .

Also if one breaks the ceramic flat washer a normal rubber one works fine too in that area as there is no Rf being processed . cheers ..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated