• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

McKinley SSB power levels

ForestRunner98

WDX-917 (917 Pasadena mobile)
Feb 9, 2020
Pasadena, California
Hey WWDX peeps!!

I was curious on why the McKinley radio if I turn the power down to 1 watt via the power knob, modulation(SSB) also drops(5-6w)
BUT… if I leave the power all the way up via the knob but turn it down inside the radio(adjustment pot) to 1w, modulation remains at 12-15w. This is all on SSB.

The reason for asking is that on my KL503 with variable on 6, SWR went up as soon as I past 1.5w on the radio. I figured the tune is wrong but was curious on why the radio did this.

I don’t mind since I can leave the radio at 1w and have full modulation on AM and SSB.

Thank you all!!!
Bill

Maybe 1.5 carrier going in was enough to saturate the mosfets then excess power goes back to the radio as reflect.
It could very well be. I have no idea. Funny thing is that I was running it at 4w on SSB and never realized it. Guess when I initially checked SWR it was at 1w.

But why would modulation drop on the radio when power adjusted from the power knob? So weird….to me at least.

you can snap the white wire and put the jumper on the other pin and its unlocked.
it gives good amount of power that way.
Only if you have the heatsink on the back though, im not sure if they all have that

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.