• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MFJ-4275MV Switching Power supply RF hash

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
I did a review a while back on the MFJ-4275MV switching power supply, which has a lot of nice features. This power supply is advertised as having no RF hash, which is a common problem with switching power supplies used in an HF radio environment.

Unfortunately, this supply does exhibit quite a bit of hash. I've made sure the that the supply is properly grounded and even changed the AC power cord to a EMC Eupen ferried lined cable (which helped) but I still see and hear the hash.

Here is a screen shot of the hash visible on the panadapter screen, evidenced by the vertical lines that the red arrows are pointing to.

mfj-4275hash.jpg

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but here's a video so you can hear what the has sounds like:

MFJ-4275 Power Supply Hash - YouTube

It's worth pointing out that this problem is fairly common with switching power supplies and is not unique to the MFJ products. Often I find that the hash is not strong enough to disrupt normal operations, but sometimes it is a real hassle to deal with. On my station, I'm going to move this power supply to mostly VHF/UHF and VHF amplifier duty, while returning the HF gear to a regulated linear power supply. I hope the information I've proved helps others make their own decisions.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated