• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

mfj 993 intellituner problems

medic18d

Nov 23, 2013
i have recently noticed while running my 993b with my alinco dx sr8t Via
interface i have a much higher noise floor . turning the tuner off solves the problem . a car battery is the power source , so no power supply noise .
what gives?

any help would be appreciated

Every few months i clear out the memory banks and relearn the tuners here ( 993-B and 998 legal limit autotuners)
That takes care of most problems, never had the noise problem, both are fed from small 3 amp switching power supplies that are noisefree too.

Give the cleear out a try, relearn the memories on the bands you use normally and see what that does.

Reactions: 1 person
Every few months i clear out the memory banks and relearn the tuners here ( 993-B and 998 legal limit autotuners)
That takes care of most problems, never had the noise problem, both are fed from small 3 amp switching power supplies that are noisefree too.

Give the cleear out a try, relearn the memories on the bands you use normally and see what that does.

thank you , ill give it a shot .

Ive done the resert myself and it takes care of any issues I cant or couldnt figure out on the auto tuners and my Hf radios.
Im not understanding the noise floor issue you are getting but Im baffled by what trouble your having with it. You have to remember that when and antenna is properly tuned with a tuner that the recieve will bve maxed out which in return the noise level is going to come up my friend and thats just the way it works. As an example I know alot of shortwave listeners use antenna tuners to get a better receive signal.

I actually do this with my manual tuners, Ilisten and watch my receive signal on the meter for maximum reading and then do my adjustments accordingly.

Ive done the resert myself and it takes care of any issues I cant or couldnt figure out on the auto tuners and my Hf radios.
Im not understanding the noise floor issue you are getting but Im baffled by what trouble your having with it. You have to remember that when and antenna is properly tuned with a tuner that the recieve will bve maxed out which in return the noise level is going to come up my friend and thats just the way it works. As an example I know alot of shortwave listeners use antenna tuners to get a better receive signal.

I actually do this with my manual tuners, Ilisten and watch my receive signal on the meter for maximum reading and then do my adjustments accordingly.
its probably because i have a cheap radio (alnico dx sr8t) no gain knob
it boast an AGC and a attenuator but still cannot adjust gain by ear thus leaving me with more noise than a high end hf radio.

tuner is just fine with a radio with an adjustable gain, and yes the signal was better in a sense , but was worse off to a person with a crappy radio

thx for the replies. im actually relieved

Most modern rigs have more then enough gain and don't need the internal amplifier in the on position.
My FT 2000-D the amp ( IPO) is not used IPO on strange as it sounds...what means the amps are off.

Thhe only band i "might" use the amp is 50 MHZ in low signal situations with the 5 element beam, but when there are openings on 6 normally signals are loud enough.

On 80 and 160 i even use the attenuator, and the filters on, roofing filter, VRF, hence taking care the first mixer isn't overloaded.

It also makes the work for the AGC easier less pumping on that as well.
As long i can hear anyone, i don't care if he is S3 or S9+
Taking back the gain or using the ATT will make reception a lot better, one of the reasons they are on your front panel.

Good to see you got it sorted now.
Have fun,
Cor

As above. If there's anything other than S0 showing on the S meter when no signal is being received you need to turn off the preamps and maybe even engage the attenuator. Yes it'll lower the signal strength of received stations but the signal to noise ratio will be better and if they're hard to hear, increase the AF gain aka volume knob.

No point trying to hear a S3 signal above a S2 noise floor which would have a readability of 3-4 at best when you can hit the attenuator button, have the S3 signal drop to a S1 but because the noise floor drops even more, the readability improves to a 5-6 or even 8-9.

thank you MOGVZ and just me. you two have addressed my issue and even mentored a little on the radio controls i have an issue with . rather than scoff

this is why i joined the forum , thank you for the guidance and i commend you .
73's

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.