• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

mfj-993b

Whiplash-265

Aug 14, 2011
Ontario, Canada
looks like she's gotta go back for a fix

damn power wont stay on. powers up fine, but as soon as you release the power button she poops out
did a self-test on it while holding on the power and everything checks out okay, so prob just a new switch or maybe a relay?? i ain't no electrician lol
all of what, 3 months old? bought it at hamvention

i was actually considering upping to the 998..........

emailed techinfo, here's hoping i get a response ;)

Common problem, switch mechanical failiure.
I own both the 993-B as well the 998.
Sometimes you can use an old computer switch found in an old desktop on/off switch if it fits, saved lots of those and one replaced the Yaesu FT 847 broken on/off switch.

thanx Justme

is the switch an easy swap out? they're sending up a new one
hopefully it's not something i'll need to re-solder into a board or something...i'm about as good at that as i am at sweating a joint (and that's really bad lol)

cheers

That switch as well as others are mounted on a circuit board behind the front panel. Not too difficult to swap for a new one, but to do a good job you should have at least a small iron, solder sucker or some solder wick. Using a good grade of solder is also key. Various types are discussed elsewhere on this forum. You will be surprised how good your job will look if you use the proper soldering equipment for the job. Practice helps, but having the proper tools is 90% of it IMO.

BTW If you're lucky, the spring in that switch may have become dislodged. Sometimes it's just a matter of resetting it. If that's the case you can look at one of the other switches as to how it operates.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.