• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MFJ's 108 SS Whip is 108 1/8 inch long from end to end.

Onelasttime

Aug 3, 2011
So ordered 2 to make shipping worthwhile. They have two set screws in the end instead of being brazed or swaged but they are definitely 108 inch+ a little extra.

I am no machinist but I did help my wife study and she is a machinist so I am confident in my crude measurement! LOL I also did automotive and tool and die in high school.

No I did not use something as might and hi tech as a laser to measure I just used a tape measure! LOL It is steel.

People have said before they are not 108 inches long but truly they are.

I did not want to buy a puck to get the added length and given the shit quality of springs and their many durability issues it made more sense to just get a whip the length I needed.

THe set screws are 90 degre's apart from each other. I think they where $26 each and it is hard to find a 102 SS whip for that price since radio shack went out of business. Also most 102 inch whips have set wcrews too so not a huge deal. I am sure I could braze it or swedge it if need be!

Reactions: Tallman

Gee, I wonder what the "~" thingy means in the MFJ catalog description.;)

MFJ-1966 ANTENNA WHIP, SOLID SS, 108~, 3/8-24

So ordered 2 to make shipping worthwhile. They have two set screws in the end instead of being brazed or swaged but they are definitely 108 inch+ a little extra.

I am no machinist but I did help my wife study and she is a machinist so I am confident in my crude measurement! LOL I also did automotive and tool and die in high school.

No I did not use something as might and hi tech as a laser to measure I just used a tape measure! LOL It is steel.

People have said before they are not 108 inches long but truly they are.

I did not want to buy a puck to get the added length and given the shit quality of springs and their many durability issues it made more sense to just get a whip the length I needed.

THe set screws are 90 degre's apart from each other. I think they where $26 each and it is hard to find a 102 SS whip for that price since radio shack went out of business. Also most 102 inch whips have set wcrews too so not a huge deal. I am sure I could braze it or swedge it if need be!
Are you going to co-phase these for a mobile?

For years on this site and other's people have said things like " I know the guy that makes all SS whip and they do not make any 108 inches long for anyone so MFJ is lying!" etc.....

They come packaged in a white PVC tube with end caps glued on. I got mine 36 hours after I ordered it. In fact I order transistors from RF parts about 2 minutes before I ordered the antennas and it took a few days longer to get them in the mail. Not a slight against RF Parts either just surprised how fast the over-sized antennas arrived.

Are you going to co-phase these for a mobile?
No co-phasing but shipping is $25 becasue they are over-sized so I bought two to make it worth while. I am 44 years old I figure two 108 inch whips will last me a long long time! I figure you could fit 3-4 in the tube they used for shipping. By performance I mean transmit and receive.

In my short life I have not found any antenna for mobile application that works better than a 102" with added length or a 108" for 26Mhz-29Mhz. There are a lot that look better or are easier to work with and a lot that are shorter but not better.

Even though I will look like a Hill Billy with that thing on my car I decided to go for performance and durability over looks. I have a white 5 foot FireStick and not only is the bandwidth terrible but transmit and receive are terrible compared to a whip. I do not trust fairly small loaded antenna like K40 Wilson, Stryker with some my radio's since all of them are older radio's no longer in production. Even the bjt finals are getting harder to find and expensive. A large loaded open air capacitor antenna like Monkey Made look no better than a whip and are not any better performing in terms of receive and transmit.

In terms of mounting I think the whip will transmit less load to the mount than a large external coil type. I am reinforcing the trunk area but I thought it would be less likely to stress the mount.

No co-phasing but shipping is $25 becasue they are over-sized so I bought two to make it worth while. I am 44 years old I figure two 108 inch whips will last me a long long time! I figure you could fit 3-4 in the tube they used for shipping. By performance I mean transmit and receive.

In my short life I have not found any antenna for mobile application that works better than a 102" with added length or a 108" for 26Mhz-29Mhz. There are a lot that look better or are easier to work with and a lot that are shorter but not better.

Even though I will look like a Hill Billy with that thing on my car I decided to go for performance and durability over looks. I have a white 5 foot FireStick and not only is the bandwidth terrible but transmit and receive are terrible compared to a whip. I do not trust fairly small loaded antenna like K40 Wilson, Stryker with some my radio's since all of them are older radio's no longer in production. Even the bjt finals are getting harder to find and expensive. A large loaded open air capacitor antenna like Monkey Made look no better than a whip and are not any better performing in terms of receive and transmit.

In terms of mounting I think the whip will transmit less load to the mount than a large external coil type. I am reinforcing the trunk area but I thought it would be less likely to stress the mount.
Gee, I wonder what that makes me look like? All of my Ham Sticks when tuned are a at least 8' in length. Mounted on top of the cab of a S10 pickup truck with a camper. That pvc pipe is carrying my antennas that are to long to lay down in the bed of the truck. The roof is 5'10" from the ground put an antenna that's almost 15 feet to the top of the antenna. I don't drive with the antennas installed.
For my CB radio I use the SIRIO 5000.

4373-1473024082-58ba2b4160778a175e1e668277a475eb.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Slowmover
Gee, I wonder what that makes me look like? All of my Ham Sticks when tuned are a at least 8' in length. Mounted on top of the cab of a S10 pickup truck with a camper. That pvc pipe is carrying my antennas that are to long to lay down in the bed of the truck. The roof is 5'10" from the ground put an antenna that's almost 15 feet to the top of the antenna. I don't drive with the antennas installed.

A Hillbilly with money.

Gee, I wonder what the "~" thingy means in the MFJ catalog description.;)

MFJ-1966 ANTENNA WHIP, SOLID SS, 108~, 3/8-24

For the señors and señoritas at MFJ, it is easier and shorter than having to spell out "Approximately".

I've still go about 12 of the Radio Shack 102" whips. They perform fine, but they re-inforce the old U.S. Navy adage that: "stainless steel isn't". The stainless steel alloy on the later produced Radio Shack 102" whips must not have been as good because I find myself having to take them down about once a year to clean them with CRC, which helps to remove the rust and provide a little anti-corrosion protection.

Reactions: CrAcKeR1710

I avingd

I am driving a 4 door Toyota Camry not a truck! LOL It will look goofy as hell on my car but I am unfortunately a "function over form" type of guy! Heck if I still had a truck I would not have wasted my time with other antennas. LOL

When I lived in had a Toyota 4Runner in the 1990's I had to once a year take some SS steel wool and run it over my whip. When I would be washing Ga. red clay or Michigan Road Salt off I would hit with some NuFinnish poly/wax. I never saw rust on it just the normal whiteish film all stainless steel forms to protect itself. It is 3:50am and I have been drinking beer I can not think of the name of the sacrificial coating SS forms. LOL I have a really nice white K40 base loaded antenna but my radio has an MRF455 as it's final and I just do not trust the capacitor inside the base. If I decide to run power than I trust it even less since my 1 pill cranks out about 220 watts rms. Transistors are just too darn expensive. I remember when a Toshiba 2SC2879 was $12 now they are $64. On top of that if I decide to break the law and wonder off 11m the K40 has terrible swr off freq.!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated