• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

mic shocking me.

Can you describe the circumstances in a little more detail? Is this a mobile or base install? Does it happen during both receive and transmit, or only transmit? Can you tell what part of the mic is shocking you?

I googled the mic and found a review here:

Ranger SRA-198 Noise Cancelling Microphone Review

It doesn't look like it takes batteries and I don't think the radio provides power on any of the pins in the mic jack like ham rigs do, so I suspect you're not getting a typical electrical shock.

It's possible what you're getting is an RF burn. The pictures show a metal weight inside the mic (to give it some heft) and it looks like the clip on the back is also metal and is screwed into it. You could be getting a lot of RF either in your shack or in your vehicle, and the metal is picking up some of it. I wouldn't expect this to happen with just a barefoot radio, but you could have an additional 'footwarmer' that you decided not to mention. :)

This could be a grounding problem, though it's hard to speculate on the exact cause and solution since each installation is a little different. I would start by checking your antenna system for any obvious problems and make sure all your equipment is properly grounded. (This can be harder in a vehicle.) After that, it might help to install some kind of isolation choke in the feedline between your transmitter and the antenna.

-Bill

I just got a connex 3300 HP with a ranger mic model sra 198. The problem I am having is I keep getting shocked. Any suggestions?

Possibly your antenna is searching for a path to ground and your lip is completing that circuit, don't get mad or laugh because it's highly possible that's the reason.

Check your coax with an v/ohm meter for open circuit on the shield side and also check you antenna mount for continuity to ground.

What Mack said about the human lip. My DX-100B (Heathkit, circa 1960) did that to me on 40M AM. Rearranged the dipole and coax and problem went away. The RF burns are finally healing ...

How many "My mic is shocking my lips" threads does this make in the past couple of years...... 3-5 and counting.
Insufficient ground.

lol

happens to me if i use my rk56 all my other mics dont go figure.
i know i have a ground problem. cant put antenna outside. i hate living in the city.

happens to me if i use my rk56 all my other mics dont go figure.
i know i have a ground problem. cant put antenna outside. i hate living in the city.

You'res is most likely an rf feedback issue ie rf saturation in the immediate area of the tr/rx.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.