• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mic Wiring Help - RCI-2985dx

Yankee

Apr 15, 2013
Can someone help with the wiring of this Mic. I am attempting to come from my computer sound card to the RCI mic jack. I have a replacement cord with the 6 pin socket end and the other end is just the wires. I have it figured out how to trigger the PTT, but which pins then allow the audio through into the radio?

Here is the picture.

Attachments

• rci_2985dx_mic_wiring.gif
    rci_2985dx_mic_wiring.gif
    3.9 KB · Views: 30

Pin 2 and 1 the ground wire? And can I just have the audio from the soundcard connected all the time? I mean it should not go into the radio audio circuit if it is not keyed up?

Thanks for the help. When I was a kid, they had no words like dyslexia, but I think I got it. LOL, Never could follow these wiring diagrams.

Unbelievable. So I get this almost done, and because I trust no one, I always check my wiring with a continuity tester. This piece of Redman junk cord did not even have the yellow wire stripped, let alone soldered to the pin, the blue wire was soldered to the same pin as the grounding wire and where the yellow was supposed to go it had a white wire and there isn't even a white wire in the diagram. Figures, you just can't trust anyone.

you can not go by wire colors on some units. most of the time the white wire is the audio wire. the white wire should be wrapped inside the shield wire witch is the braid wire for ground. not sure what mic you are referring to for the colors you mentioned.

if you are referring to the diagram you posted as yellow for audio that is not how it works for the after market wires you have . check pin 2 and see what wire they had there. it more than likely will be a white wire.

Reactions: 1 person
Mikes and mike connectors are color blind; they don't know if they're connected to a yellow or a green wire, and they don't care. It's up to the user to figure out which function is connected to which wire.

That picture is not very informative. And it sure does not sound very logical that just anyone would go by any standard they wanted to invoke. RCI has a 6 pin connector and their mics have a color code. What a mess it would be of everyone just used any color ware to go anywhere, and even worse if they are selling replacement cords. This is something the present govenment would do. :D

I think what it's going to take is someone that works on RCI base radios and knows how to do this. I am trying to key up the TX circuit from an external switch and allow audio to go through the circuit from my computer soundcard. They make things to do this for Yaseu and Kenwoods, where you can actually key from a com port on the computer, but there is nothing for the RCI, and no one has cobbled together anything yet. I don't care if the program in the PC does the keying or I do it mechanically. I can already do that. I just want to get the audio from the computer speaker outlet to go into the radio. Haven't found the combination yet. :p

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.