• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mica Replacement?

nbsr

Mar 29, 2014
Hudson Valley, NY
I'm seeking an opinion on thermal conductive insulators. Many times the mica insulator is broken replacing parts. Also I'm in my 60s, can work on smds, but when it comes to thermal compound I suddenly turn 3 and I feel like I'm cleaning up from it forever. Thumbing through Mouser I came by:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/567-CD-02-05-247.
2 part question:
Can I use it to replace mica?
Can I get away from thermal compound?
Thanks in advance,
Mark

Reactions: Ay589

When I use thermal grease I will dip into the grease with a Popsicle stick bought from a hobby store and put a small dab int the location needed. Then I take a small square of perforated circuit board and use it to spread the grease around. I cut the PCB so it works like a notched trowel. I do this on the heatsink and the transistor both. Put the insulator pad on the transistor and place on the heatsink. Press firmly and twist the transistor bath and forth until the part is seated.Tighten screws. I did this for thermoelectric devices. Too little grease and it will not work very well too much and it won't work at all.
Clean up with Q-tips and alcohol if necessary. If you don't over do it cleaning will not be needed.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I use Bergquist SIL-PADS or Bergquist type 800 Insulating material.
I can vouch for that. I just installed a couple into a HR2510. They are not cheap but do eliminate the mess.

silpad1516643413.jpg

Even though this is anti Sieze for bolts on cars and trucks, I use this and I build amps/radios and use lots of thermal compound. I feel like these 2 products turn me into the Tinman, I start finger painting This helped me out greatly! I'm ordering some of these pads this week! Thank you all!

Attachments

• IMG_7192.JPG
    IMG_7192.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 11

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?