• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Microphone Adaptors: good or bad?

Wire Dawg

Jul 21, 2012
I'd like to use an 878 DM Astatic mic (stock Cobra 4-pin) on a Ranger RCI 2970n2 (6-pin & intact modulation limiter). A local CB shop suggests to buy an adaptor, rather than replacing the existing connector. I'd like opinions from users & experts about possible side effects from such approach. The mic's 6-wire cord appears to be an ideal match for the 6-pin receptor. Should I expect any degradation or limitation from the radio or mic (clarity, modulation, signal strenght, etc) if I use the adaptor instead of soldering the Ranger's 6-pin connector? If so, what are the adverse effects?

I use a 4 to 6 pin adapter on a RCI radio.
No problems; go for it . . .

If you think that the adapter might get whacked and break something; then put a 6 pin plug on your mic and be done with it.

i a 4 to 5 pin adapter on my 5 pin unidens , it never seems to be rigidly tight , but it's never had a connection issue either . the variable talk-back on my 2018 works fine too .

adapters are fine if you have the space for them though this is a bigger problem with side mic radios. the other issues may be the wiring may not match and then you would have to rewire the mic anyway. but if you really know wht you are doing you might be able to rewire the radio with a new jack so you can just swap the mics between the radios with little no issues.

I like the idea of retaining the use of the mic for both radios. I thought that perhaps the adapters would "short"or bypass the use of certain important wires, thus compromising performance, for the sake of achieving their applicability. I'm opting to buy the adapter. Thanks!

i think 2 of the wires on the rci mics are for the channel up/down . you will loose that feature ......

adapters are fine, but stick out about a inch long, and then you have to screw the mic plug on the end, so they stick out a bit from the radio...

Better idea is to have a shop build you a "Pig-tail" using about 3 or 4" of Mic cord...This is allot less bulky. You would have a 6 pin plug on one end to connect to the radio, and the other end will have a 4 pin plug for your Mic...

Mater-a-fact, if you buy one of the New Uniden radios, (the 680 or 880) they come from the factory with a pig-tail so you can use either the 6 pin Mic that comes with the radio or your choice of 4 pin Cobra/Galaxy type wired Mic's.

bwgz1889001small.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
Be careful, I have had several of these and I remember 2 of them were wired incorrectly internally. Could be an issue on radios with powered jacks.

Probably was labeled in the wrong package or something. IDK

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated