• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MIcrophone wireing MFJ-299

Grogan

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Oct 1, 2011
Southern New Jersey
I have a ranger RCI 2950dx and was looking to conect the MFJ-299 desk mic to it, They sell several cables for icom kenwood or yaesu in both 8 pin and modular I would have to remove the 8 pin change it to a 6-pin and decide to set the switch A, B or C ? Anybody ever use this mic, I could probally figure it out but was wondering about the sound and compressor and Eq.
Thanks for the replys

i have used the adonis branded version of this mic and the older eq model too,
reading the well chosen wording it may seem like everything you could ever need in a base mic,

imho the compressor works and the timing is not as bad as the kenwood mc85 but it still sounds a little flat/undynamic,

the eq does not have enough sliders at the right frequencies to get the sound i like,

i prefere a cardioid / supercardioid pattern mic that helps hide the environment you are talking in,
the adonis mics are too omnidirectional and pic up more shack noise/room ambience than i like,

the eq versions eat batteries if not powered from the radio,

to my ears the least expensive 308 none compressor model is the best sounding of the adonis mics, if gadgets/bling are your thing you may like it.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
MFJ-299 hook up to 6 pin

I am also looking to get this mic and try to get it wired to a 2995dx and 2970N2.Is there any adapters that would work since it come wired for 8 pin or anyplace that has them prewired so I can plug and play?

MFJ-299 - RCI 29XX

Please post about this mic when you have it wired up to to your 2950.

It should be easy enough wiring a 6 pin plug to it. You should still have your channel up/down ability with this mic also.

Ahanway I'm interested in the specific combination of the 2970N2 radio with the MFJ-299 mic. On paper it should be a DX screamer. Let us know how it works for you (before I buy either/both!).

The mic gets a (generally) good rap on other forums, such as eham.net

It should be easy enough wiring a 6 pin plug to it. You should still have your channel up/down ability with this mic also.

Ahanway I'm interested in the specific combination of the 2970N2 radio with the MFJ-299 mic. On paper it should be a DX screamer. Let us know how it works for you (before I buy either/both!).

Yes,I have also heard a lot of good reports on this mic and since posting this I have found out BELLS CB were I purchased my Rangers from he is able to get a MFJ 299 and wire it up to my RCI 2995dx and RCI 2970N2 and send it with the rest of my order.Once I get it I will get it fine tunned to the radio's and do a review and yes it should rock the air waves!(y)

ahanway, did you get yours up and running? I have one of these mics and used it on my Icom IC-718 with good results. The EQ does not make a huge difference, but does change your tone some. I had to play with the gain and compressor settings to get the best sound, but that is normal for any mic.

RT307

ahanway, did you get yours up and running? I have one of these mics and used it on my Icom IC-718 with good results. The EQ does not make a huge difference, but does change your tone some. I had to play with the gain and compressor settings to get the best sound, but that is normal for any mic.

RT307

I just received the mic in the mail and Screwdriver form Bells Cb hooked me up with 2 patch cables wired for my 6 pin RCI 2995DX and RCI 2970N2 and 4 pin Connex Saturn 33 SSB and I can say this mic rocks.There hasn't been very much SSB out their in the last couple days since I have hooked it up but on AM it's loud.The EQ on it just more for the tone but not much difference just need to fine tune it.I can set it 3 feet away and it still talk with the compressor set on low but when on high it pics up more backround noise I tend to have it on set low to medium. I will be doing more tests as soon and see how it does over time!

I'm thinking I ran mine on medium compression, with the gain low (2-3) on the mic, and the mic gain on the rig at 50%. I remember that too much gain kicked the compression up and it limited the output quite a bit, along with making it sound a little fuzzy.

Glad you got yours working and found the sweet spot for your rig.

RT307

Nope,not my review. The radio's I was going to use them on had problems and my Astron just took a crap so I just sent them off a few days ago for warrenty work to be done.

I bought an MFJ 299. I like the mic ok except it uses batteries up fairly quickly. I've gone through 2 batteries in about 3 weeks.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.