• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Midland 75-822

Mudfoot

Elmer
Jun 17, 2009
Southeast Ohio
I bought one of these new off of eBay. Just got it today. I really like it. Seems to be well built. Talked to a few truckers that haul frack tanks that are built across the tracks from my house. They said it sounded pretty good.

Pretty neat how you can hook it up to external power and antenna. I'll probably expand it at some point. I liked the looks and functionality over Cobra's similar offering.

I have one that I use in my car hooked to a LIL WILL ANTENNA and plugged into cig lighter ,I love it works real well for such a small radio and you can put it in your pocket when you park the car ,also no installation problems just plug and unplug neat and easy ,no bells and whistles like the bigger junk ,but I can talk and hear that's what I use and need it for.

i have one as well.i know the older ones can have extras channels .not the newer ones...plus if you have a older one there are ways to ge t even more channels like the A's channels plus more higher ones.:tongue:

I thought the newer ones could be expanded as well. I read something about the pads being coated with something that had to be removed before soldering a jumper. I'd like to mod this one, but no biggie if'n I can't.

I'm looking for a lil wil antenna myself.

I thought the newer ones could be expanded as well. I read something about the pads being coated with something that had to be removed before soldering a jumper. I'd like to mod this one, but no biggie if'n I can't.

I'm looking for a lil wil antenna myself.

Some of the earlier 822's could be expanded, IIRC, midland rewrote the CPU so that the out of band operation was eliminated on new ones. Some one correct me if I am wrong.

I had a 75-820 that I was able to expand, took some heating, scraping, and cleaning off of some sort of epoxy to get to the solder pads, BTW use your best pencil tip iron, the pads are tiny!!! I didn't see the need to keep it and sold it, I mostly rag chew on 38LSB. I then found a second 820 and again tried to get at the solder pads, but no luck. I stopped trying when I noticed when my iron started to discolor the PCB.

I too have the vehicle 12v plug/pl-259 connector and works just like a full sized rig, audio is typical tinny from the tiny speaker, but that's to be expected. Now I use it when I'm in the other 1/2's car, where she won't allow a permanently-mounted radio and it does pretty well. Wish I could find tuning and alignment info, there's a CB web shop that offers tuning/aligning/expanding, but his cost would be about what I paid for my 75-820 plus two-way shipping, for now I'm satisfied with it being stock. I use it as a loaner for non-cb friends when we take road trips, camping, and general farting around. **Jump_im**

73s

Greg

Shakin out the cobwebs in the old melon, I think the Cobra HH 45WX is identical to the Midland 75-820. If I were to get another 11 meter HH, it would be a Magnum 1012 10 meter SSB HH and do the mod to get 11 meters.

73s

I bought one of them when they first hit the street. It felt cheap and flimsy and overloaded easily. I felt it was just a novelty. It went bye bye real quick.

Some of the earlier 822's could be expanded, IIRC, midland rewrote the CPU so that the out of band operation was eliminated on new ones. Some one correct me if I am wrong.

I had a 75-820 that I was able to expand, took some heating, scraping, and cleaning off of some sort of epoxy to get to the solder pads, BTW use your best pencil tip iron, the pads are tiny!!! I didn't see the need to keep it and sold it, I mostly rag chew on 38LSB. I then found a second 820 and again tried to get at the solder pads, but no luck. I stopped trying when I noticed when my iron started to discolor the PCB.

I too have the vehicle 12v plug/pl-259 connector and works just like a full sized rig, audio is typical tinny from the tiny speaker, but that's to be expected. Now I use it when I'm in the other 1/2's car, where she won't allow a permanently-mounted radio and it does pretty well. Wish I could find tuning and alignment info, there's a CB web shop that offers tuning/aligning/expanding, but his cost would be about what I paid for my 75-820 plus two-way shipping, for now I'm satisfied with it being stock. I use it as a loaner for non-cb friends when we take road trips, camping, and general farting around. **Jump_im**

73s

Greg

Same here...I was looking for someone to even crack the case and see what, if anything, could be done...no takers. BellsCB has a youTube video of a before and after tune...

Mine is expanded, 40, 40+, 40-. It works well for what it is, but like any other handheld; they aren't worth a hoot without the external antenna. The two things I dislike is that the volume it too low and the backlight won't stay lit all the time.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.