• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Midland 75-830 240 channel mod (easy)

towerdog

one-niner-seven
Nov 18, 2009
NC
You can get 240 channels on this, I dont know why nobody in the west has figured this out but its about the same as an Elix or Hygen K-22.

Turn on the radio while holding down ch.up and ch.down buttons at the same time. Ch.9 button changes bands, A through F.

Covers 25.615 to 28.305.

ok actually I told an accidental lie.

You have to jumper a solder pad, the only solder pad on the frontmost PCB board next to the processor. I thought it would do FM and maybe it does still in the works.

Thanks Defpom for posting the wrong mods, and any of the other numerous sites that copied it. There is no FM on the 75-830, the top solder pad may light up an FM icon but its still in AM, and without the 240 channels.

The bottom pad, of which I will post pics if anyone wants to see itis located below and to the right of the processor, about 1/8" down from the screw.
The bottom pad does 240 ch.mod.

If top and bottom pads are shorted, 240 channels plus an AM icon, since midland didnt think nobody would care to be reminded of it.

towerdog-albums-radios-picture2984-midland-75-830-channel-expansion.jpg

All well and fine but what good is it if the antenna will not make it useable for those frequencies.

The antenna is not (much) useable at any frequencies, but a rubber duck, basically an end fed dummy load that leaks a little, is more broadbanded than most people think.

You really need something like this Seung SA2 Flexible Extended Range Antenna, Works for any hand held CB radio with a BNC connector, Improves signal, Flexible, Extends range (SA-2 SA 2 handheld SEUNGSA2 SEUNG-SA2)
Or better a telescopic ant like the cobra HA-TA or even better, one of the old radio shack center loaded telescopic, if you can find it.
The one they carry now is sold as a RX scanner antenna with TX on amateur bands with it lowered, but I suspect its the same thing I used to have.
A longer duck, like say 12 to 18 inches makes alot of difference as well.

BTW, running off the 9v battery pack, keys 3.8 watts according to my cheap power meter, at 27.185, at 25.615 was 3.4 watts and at 28.305 about 3.2. Its very broadbanded for what it is.

I used to have a 75-822 and a cobra hh-45, basically same radio. No TX at all below around 26.625, but would TX up to 28.305 with about 2 watts though :(

The antenna is not (much) useable at any frequencies, but a rubber duck, basically an end fed dummy load that leaks a little, is more broadbanded than most people think.

You really need something like this Seung SA2 Flexible Extended Range Antenna, Works for any hand held CB radio with a BNC connector, Improves signal, Flexible, Extends range (SA-2 SA 2 handheld SEUNGSA2 SEUNG-SA2)
Or better a telescopic ant like the cobra HA-TA or even better, one of the old radio shack center loaded telescopic, if you can find it.
The one they carry now is sold as a RX scanner antenna with TX on amateur bands with it lowered, but I suspect its the same thing I used to have.
A longer duck, like say 12 to 18 inches makes alot of difference as well.

BTW, running off the 9v battery pack, keys 3.8 watts according to my cheap power meter, at 27.185, at 25.615 was 3.4 watts and at 28.305 about 3.2. Its very broadbanded for what it is.

I used to have a 75-822 and a cobra hh-45, basically same radio. No TX at all below around 26.625, but would TX up to 28.305 with about 2 watts though :(

Hey there, do you have one of those SA-2s? I have a 75-820/22 and need to replace the stock r-ducky. 2 or so feet should do better than the stock 10 or so inches. The stock r-ducky BNC pin has broken off inside the BNC mount:

75_820IMG_1116.jpg

I've looked on ebay and found this: 27mhz wipe but it's location is in Thailand and wonder about the delivery time and possible customs charges.

Thanks for any info

no i am looking rubber duckies myself. as for that center pin broke off, try using a sewing needle, if you break it ,bncs are cheap.

ok actually I told an accidental lie.

You have to jumper a solder pad, the only solder pad on the frontmost PCB board next to the processor. I thought it would do FM and maybe it does still in the works.

Hi all , can this mod be done to the 75822 also , an does it work ok ? Thanks in advance .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.