• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Midland 79-290 opinions..........

Phil501

CDX-501 back in da mix!!
Apr 6, 2005
Western Nevada
Hey gang, just picked up a Midland 79-290 mobile radio for good price......I found this link on them and it didn't sound to good. Just was wondering if any of the forum members here have owned one. I'd like to hear ups and downs on this rig as far as performance on SSB, or even if there is any.....LOL :roll: I couldn't beat the price.
Thanks all........73's
http://cbworldinformer.com/cb_world_961201.htm

Try entering Midland 79-290 into the SEARCH feature to display the replies on that model. BTW, did you know there's a lengthy thread just 15 clicks below this one all about the 79-290. The radio's been exhaustively discussed there.
CLICK HERE

While the 79-290 isn't the best radio out there, it's a worthy performer that offers other features that should be considered as worthwhile trade-offs. The S/RF meter could be better but having a removable front panel is handy for security. I haven't experienced excessive channel bleedover as that article suggests and I'm on the road amongst the truckers. The mods are easy to do and in the end it's a good radio, employing reliable SMT componentry, dual finals on a substantially sized heatsink, better channel coverage than some exports and without the need to reassign switches or drill a front panel. 25+ watts on AM alone isn't out of the ordinary for that radio, let alone even more on SSB. With a good mobile antenna your range should be substantial. I can count on 10mi and way beyond that quite often.

Hey guys, thanks for the info......I thought I seen a post a while back on this rig....I tried to find it, but couldn't at the time........I guess I'm blind.......LOL.......Thanks again. I haven't received radio yet, but I'll keep you posted on my 2cts.........73's all :LOL:

79-290

The midland 79-290 is a very good radio it was a good radio for a small car or were space is limited. I had this radio in my wifes car fro some time with a 2pil davemade, wilson 5000 ,&a d-104m6b . the radio was really loud too for what it is . Right now i got the radio up for sale with the d-104m6b for $150 the radio is only 4months old low talk time on it too . I'm only sellin it is becuse she wants a 2950dx. I cant really argue with that ;)

Hello 2at124, Nice Avatar 8) Good deal, did you do any mods on it as far as modulation or does it come with good audio, right out of box?.....I plan on running it in my Toyota Tacoma with a Wilson 1000 mag and a small amp....What is the dead key AM watts when it comes stock. Just curious.....I have a couple of different mics to play with.....I saw some of the other posts on the older topic, and it said running powermics didn't really agree with rig...Does your handheld D-104 do good with your radio?? Also how was the engine noise since radio doesn't have a NB/ANL...I couldn't believe that it doesn't have a switch on face for that funtion... Radio won't be here untill the end of the week........Thanks for the input from you guys............73's

midland

well mine had a peak and tune done to it. it was Dk 3watts swingin to 12 which worked really well with my 2pil davemade .I didnt really have any noise problem in my wifes car so nb/anl wasnt really needed , I put a d-104m6b after a road devil i had . The road devil sounded like i was in a tin can . have fun with your new 79-290 they are a really good radio

I really recommend getting away from this notion that a radio has to have a power mic. to talk. The Astatic noise cancelling or equiv. good NC mic is very adequate once you do the simple modulation mod by changing the chip resistor to a lower value. Power mics serve to amplify background noise along with your voice. That doesn't make sense in a mobile environment. The Astatic NC mic has a higher signal output as it is compared to the stock junk mic. The clarity is unsurpassed IMHO. On a scope using the NC mic, the peaks are 100-110%. Power mic would definitely crush the waveform leading one to believe their audio is loud and clear. Loud maybe....

Results of 3 watts swinging to 12 must be on a stingy meter. I don't bother with amps. Mine dead keys at 2.5, swings to about 28 PEP on AM. The radio has a NB circuit, it's just not front panel switchable and not as effective as some older Uniden/Cobra mobiles. On one of my regular road trips, I routinely chat with a major CB svc/sales shop on the interstate located just under 30 miles away from my passing it. I always receive very good reports from the tech. No amps as mentioned.

Hey Rodger Dodger...Thanks for insight........I have a few mics, some power and some NC......I'll just play around with a few to get wich one's best for my needs......Still waiting for radio, I'll post my results and thoughts when received.......Thanks again....73's :D

very nice radio...

but hard to find modification for it if it is v1.1

To set radio foe 240 channel mode press and hold "DW" and "9" then turn radio on..Select bands by using the "19" button.

To set radio for 28Mhz to 29.7 Mhz press and hold "LCR" and "MIC" then turn radio on. To switch back to 40 channel mode repeat process.

this quick mod vorks for the 1st generation only

Well Gang, Finally got radio in the mail today.....Good timing, being we finally had some conditons this afternoon......I like the size of radio...Nice and compact.....Perfect for mounting in my little puddle jumper (Toyota Tocoma) First thing I checked out was the ver. it is a 1.1......It's already been jumped, as described on another thread, So extra channels was a snap... I haven't hooked it up in mobile yet, but on bench, I really liked the RX.....Nice a clear.....Not as much white noise like on some of my other SSB mobile rigs. The display is nice as well.....As far as the meter......I'm not a big fan of digital meters....There's something about a big Ol' meter on face of rig that really can be appreciated....LOL. I checked the power on my meters and it was kinda low as desribed with other Midland owners here on the forum...On AM mine's keying 2.5w and swinging to around 18w....SSB it's around 18w....Modulation is LOUD.....I got a few long distant radio checks out in DX land and got good reports.....That was with stock mic.....I don't really care for the high/low mic gain........I'd like to see a variable like anyone else... Clarifier is unlocked, only doing about a 3kc slide each way......fine and course are married..I'd like to be able to go 5kc's down on freq...I also pulled cover off, and checked variable pots....(Here we go again, there's something about a new radio, and you just gotta pull the cover off for a peak.LOL) Everything was cranked all the way as far as AMC, ALC.......Right now I'm using stock mic. I have a few mics laying around shack, power and non power with just noise cancelling......I'll find something that works best...I haven't had a chance to really put some miles on it and do some talking, but all and all I'm pretty impressed so far.....Thanks again for all the input from all of ya's. I still want to send rig to Justin and have him do his majic...73's all and good DX'n..... :LOL:

Phil501 said:
Well Gang, Finally got radio in the mail today.....Good timing, being we finally had some conditons this afternoon......I like the size of radio...Nice and compact.....Perfect for mounting in my little puddle jumper (Toyota Tocoma) First thing I checked out was the ver. it is a 1.1......It's already been jumped, as described on another thread, So extra channels was a snap... I haven't hooked it up in mobile yet, but on bench, I really liked the RX.....Nice a clear.....Not as much white noise like on some of my other SSB mobile rigs. The display is nice as well.....As far as the meter......I'm not a big fan of digital meters....There's something about a big Ol' meter on face of rig that really can be appreciated....LOL. I checked the power on my meters and it was kinda low as desribed with other Midland owners here on the forum...On AM mine's keying 2.5w and swinging to around 18w....SSB it's around 18w....Modulation is LOUD.....I got a few long distant radio checks out in DX land and got good reports.....That was with stock mic.....I don't really care for the high/low mic gain........I'd like to see a variable like anyone else... Clarifier is unlocked, only doing about a 3kc slide each way......fine and course are married..I'd like to be able to go 5kc's down on freq...I also pulled cover off, and checked variable pots....(Here we go again, there's something about a new radio, and you just gotta pull the cover off for a peak.LOL) Everything was cranked all the way as far as AMC, ALC.......Right now I'm using stock mic. I have a few mics laying around shack, power and non power with just noise cancelling......I'll find something that works best...I haven't had a chance to really put some miles on it and do some talking, but all and all I'm pretty impressed so far.....Thanks again for all the input from all of ya's. I still want to send rig to Justin and have him do his majic...73's all and good DX'n..... :LOL:

Good little radio, i use a lot Wx on it (you know florida-huricanes). i wonder what justin can get out of this radio

enjoy it !

If that radio has dual finals in it then dang! My cobra has one 1969 in it and it screams!!!! Now two of them 8) That would be sweet! Just needs a good peak and tune! :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.