• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Midland 79-892 transmit issues

Tucker442

101E
Oct 30, 2010
Jamesburg NJ
got this radio in the mail today, works ok on AM with modulation, audio is ok, PA works so I guess that means the audio IC is ok but I have no output on SSB, nothing at all. It's one of the older late 70's Cybernet chassis radios, Lafayette used it, Colt had them, lots of manfactures did, I remember something about a final or driver but my old 58 yr old brain just can't find where I put that info. Any help would be appreciated, Thank You

i've got the same problem with mine it was working great then I put it in the shelf for a few months fired it back up and no ssb audio .i'm guessing its a bad cap somewhere in the audio chain ..haven't had time to get a look at it

A long time ago I had the same problem with a Lafayette SSB-120, I wasn't worth a damn as far as diagnostic in those days but I remember my local guy replacing either the Driver or Final and it worked. I was like how can it work on AM and talk but not on SSB. In the end it was down on power on AM but I didn't notice. Guess tomorrow I will get my transistor checker out, remove the driver and final and check them. I was hoping someone would have a straight answer. The cap thing makes sense too but after looking in the wiring diagram it would take me forever to pull them all out and check them, might as well send it to DTB Dave he will probably fix it in 10 minutes instead of me taking half a day or more.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.