• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Midland radios from the 1970's

Turbo T

Certified CB Rambo
Feb 2, 2011
A few questions....

I picked up a few Midlands, the oldest a 1974 SSB model (13-983), and 3 models from 1977, one a SSB ring (79-893) and the other two standard 40 channel rigs.

Question...were all of the Midland radios from the 70's built by Cybernet?

Also has anyone had any luck with the 13-893 or the 79-893 being tuned up for good loud modulation?

Thanks in advance.

Dont expect anything much out of any Midland 13 series 23 CH. They all fall under the low power rules pre 40 CH.

Box o crap eh?

What's worse....a 1970's built Midland SSB radio, or a Maxon built Cobra 25/29 from the new millennium?

Well the only reason I even asked is because some people seem to be drawn to the newer Cobras.

I myself am more partial to the Uniden boarded Cobras.

Of course in that box a crap, I did happen to get myself a Cobra 23 ch. base, and an SBE 23 ch SSB base.

I don't know, Turbo T.... I have an old Pearce Simpson 23 ch SSB rig, and despite its low power, gets compliments and folks say it is loud and clear. Have fun with them! I know the old SBE Console II's were pretty hot rigs, and easily modded to 40 channels.

RT307

I pulled the cover off of the 79-893 and found it had a Uniden FL-034 crystal filter in it. There is a number of "PC-189AB" stamped on the center of the board, on the tan side. This radio was built in Feb 1977.

Fellas can you tell what board it has?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.