• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

might be picking up a used ft-2900r... questions

mr_fx

Oct 8, 2011
Kansas City
might be picking up a used ft-2900r... questions

it looks to be in awesome condition, but what should I pay for it?

anything I should be aware of? any know issues? anything that 'likes' to go wrong with them?

the guy is saying $100, he was planning on including a 'big base 2m antenna' as he called it

it seems like a KILLER deal, but I am worried a bit

I have a 2900 that I bought two years ago and have had it mobile since day one....and I love it !! I have had no issues at all with it...it has performed without a hitch .

If the radio is in good shape and he is willing to throw in an antenna with it I would say the 100$ he is asking is a good deal,even if the antenna is junk that price is fair

I would take a meter with me and check it out just to be sure...at that price I would jump on it

He can move down a little on price, I bought mine new for $149.00....
Output was 84 watts out of the box...so you will need a 20 amp supply to run it on base.
Descent RX...and expanded receive range...
Nice rig, thinking about one for the new truck.
All the Best
BJ

Programming software for the FT-2900

The easiest way to program this rig is to get the software for it from RT Systems. I have software from them for my FT-88000 and TH-D71a. It works great and is well worth the price when you start adding repeaters in the rig. Saves a LOT of button pushing. If you buy the software be sure and get the cable at the same time as you need it to get the PC to talk to the rig.
https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/category-s/1897.htm

Zack
N8FNR

$100 for that radio and an antenna? That's a good deal. Be advised those radios are known to generate a lot of heat if you have the power on high and you like to ratchet jaw non stop.

I had the smaller brother to it (2800M) and it was a great radio. I don't recall it being difficult to program. Really wished I hadn't of sold it but wanted to move up to a base unit. I used an Astron RS-12A to run mine and even at 65 watts it never flinched.

What's being so hard to the programming?
You start in the VFO mode, dial in the frequency, the offset sign, the PL Tone and power level you want, then tranfer it to an MR number.
All you need to remember is the 3 Menu number of 21 the offset direction, 27 the PL tone selection and 28 set tone encode to 'on'.
You can set up in VFO and test the settings before transferring to Memory.
You know you need all these in any radio to work into most repeaters.
Programming from a computer uses the same menu options.
No use to have 50 repeaters in memory when you only use a few unless you travel a lot to other dirt.
Time to git with the show and learn.
Happy New Year and good luck.

Last edited:
What's being so hard to the programming?
You start in the VFO mode, dial in the frequency, the offset sign, the PL Tone and power level you want, then tranfer it to an MR number.
All you need to remember is the 3 Menu number of 21 the offset direction, 27 the PL tone selection and 28 set tone encode to 'on'.
You can set up in VFO and test the settings before transferring to Memory.
You know you need all these in any radio to work into most repeaters.
Programming from a computer uses the same menu options.
No use to have 50 repeaters in memory when you only use a few unless you travel a lot to other dirt.
Time to git with the show and learn.
Happy New Year and good luck.
nothing to do with not knowing how to do it, just think it's rather time consuming

It took me just over an hour to program 87 frequencies into my 2900. including 30 plus police/fire frequencies.

I programmed every repeater that I could find for about 70 miles around where I live.I figured I spend 99% of my time within that distance for work and play.....I would like to have the programming disc and cable,I can really see where that would be a huge help but it isnt required...there is always a chance that something could happen away from home and ya have to reprogram something on the fly....

It is kind of nice to know how to set a frequency without a computer

Oh yea,the overheating issues:

For my radio at least I have yet to notice any overheating,and I am known to run it on high power chatting away for over an hour while driving from and to work ...for some reason I like the challenge of trying to access repeaters while on the fringe of their range.....

I am running a Larsen nmo 150 antenna hard mounted to my pickup cab,the swr with this antenna is under a 1.5 to 1 across the entire band....

The 2900 is a great little radio,I have yet to find any fault or issue with mine

I found a fan that fits under the bracket and is the size of the cooling fins, about 4" X 4". I put a switch on it and now when I'm having a long rag chew, I just turn the fan on. It's quiet enough not to bother you any and sure keeps the radio from getting too hot.
I put fans on a few of my radios, I think keeping them cooler will add to their life. I also bought a cheap little digital volt meter that is fixed on the other side, both the switch and meter are glued to the fan, this way I always know the voltage to the radio also.

Easy to do and E Pay sells the fans for under $5.00 for a decent one. Give it a try, it works.
I just wish they had the P9 data jack, my only complaint. The radio sure does talk and programming is easy, but does take a little time. I bought one of the cheat cards, always have it with me so I don't forget which number to dial to change something. Being able to change a frequency on the fly is great and it even has a PL tone finder.

73's John KF7VXA

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.