• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mixing tubes in sweep tube amps? good idea, bad idea.....

Jul 9, 2006
I plan to re-tube my PAL amp with new tubes. Recently aquired it, and i am sort of new to tube amps. I would like all 6LR6 tubes, as it came factory with them, but i am having trouble getting my hands on enough (it takes 9). If i use compatable tubes, like 6LF6s, should i use them on the plate, or does it matter?

Yes, 30 bucks retail is about the norm i have encountered so far, but i have located some of the tubes that replace 6LR6s, such as 6LF6s, 6MH6s, and 6JS6C for a much lower price. I have a few new 6LR6s, and was wondering if mixing would be advisable and if so were to put them and how many could be mixed. I just like the audio quality the tube amps produce, as well as the look and sounds of them in operation, much more than i do my pill amps.......Also, i would like to know if anyone has any info on the PAL 750b...kinda obscure as far as i can tell. I would like to know what kind of input watts and deadkey works best with this amp. Any info would be helpful....

73's to all.

6LR6 Tubes

TW465...I have some 6LR6's I can make you a deal on. I had them for spares for a Varmint that I had a long time ago. I have 4 nos GE, 2 nos Lindals (Japan), 1 nos Sylvania ECG, and 4 or 5 other used but exc. ones.

Wayne.

It's hard with old sweep tubes but I would stay with the same # for tube, and always best to have matched tubes when buying...

Obviously for sweep tubes this has become impossible... My self have encountered problems with mixing and matching, Different tubes are built slightly different and would be like putting on 2 different shoe sizes... They may not interact well together.

I had this happen when mixing and matching 6kg6/el-509 w/ el-519 tubes.. Same application, same drop in tube, different physical sizes..

Good luck...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.