• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MJF preselectors

Nightshade

Sep 16, 2009
I'd like to help my Grundig 800 a bit with background hash so I'd like to add a passive preselector to the antenna input to take some of the strain off the 800's front end.

So far I've narrowed it down to two preselectors.....The MJF-965 & the MJF 1046. The 956 is simple with the 1046 also being simple but more polished in it's function.

What I need now is some input from those here that have either used these preselectors or own/use one now. Will these preselectors help or not?

MFJ Preselectors

I have no experience with MFJ preselectors but I use an old Autek QF-1A notch/peak filter. I bought mine on eBay for $40. It was in like new condx. Unless they have been abused, there is really nothing inside that can't be user replaced if it should go back. It has many options. I can usually eliminate most line noise if the incoming signal is also strong. If the sig and line noise are the same level, it's also possible to crank the QF1 tight enough to squeeze out the noise enough to copy the signal. Just one viewpoint; hopefully you'll get others.
Chuck Kershner, W1EMQ

I doubt whether a preselector is going to do you much good. A preselector's primary function is to peak a selectable frequency at the receiver's antenna terminals and reject (or just not peak) adjacent signals.

If I'm understanding your question, you seem to have quite a bit of background noise/electrical hash. That's a pretty equal-frequency-opportunity problem. The preselector may boost a signal that's mired in the noise, but it will boost the noise level it perceives as being on that frequency as well.

And as W1EMQ said, with something like the QF-1, you can narrow the bandwidth. Problem there being, if you narrow it too much, you won't be able to understand what's being transmitted. Unless it's a CW signal.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.