• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobil powering amp question.....My bro

WhiteNite

Jan 11, 2010
My brother has a SuperStar121 like me but has a TexasStar 500v behind it. It just dont seem to get out like other radios with even smaller amps do. Is that SS121 just not powerful enough to get that amp going?

Did he check the output of that linear with a power meter when operating it?
Most 10 meter export radios have dual-final output. Which means that one would want to make sure that one doesn't overload the input of the amp with too much output from the radio by turning the RF output down low - not high!
Another consideration would have to be the quality of the antenna being used and if it is set up correctly...

EDIT: The Superstar isn't a dual final radio - it should be fine as is...
http://www.cbradiomagazine.com/Radio Reviews/Superstar 121/Superstar121.htm

There are a lot of variables that we would need to know before really being able answer the question. What else is going on in that system? What antenna is in place and how is it installed? How much drive are you giving the amplifier and what output do you see? How are you powering the amplifier...do you have a big enough alternator or is he using some type of battery configuration to deliver enough juice to the amp?

My brother has a SuperStar121 like me but has a TexasStar 500v behind it. It just dont seem to get out like other radios with even smaller amps do. Is that SS121 just not powerful enough to get that amp going?

I assume he has a decent antenna?
Is the superstar still stock?

Check the input power into the amp..... then check what the amp is putting out.

The Superstar 121 is a single final radio, should do maybe 25 watts peak after a clean tune. Whitenight, there is a log list of things to check. First up, Antenna system. Make sure the antenna and coax can handle the power. make sure the install is good and your SWR is nice and low. Next up, the amplifier. Does it even work? is the install good? Are you running a good jumper thats 3 or 6 feet long? Last up, the radio. Set the AM dead key on Lo at 2 watts and if the tune is proper with nothing clipped you should get 20-25 watts peak swing easy. Thats plenty to drive that amp to 450 plus watts. You will need a decent external watt meter to test things out. Make sure your vehicles battery is good and the alternator can feed at least 60 amps to that Texas Star.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.