• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile antenna choice help

I have experienced similar results with the Wilson 5000. I ran a straight 6 pill with a Galaxy 95T2 driving it and never had a problem.

Currently using the W5000 mag mount with a Rci-69ffb4 and having good results.

You know the coax is only rated for around 400W and that is only if the SWR is almost 1:1? The higher the SWR the lower the power it'll handle before you get arcing between the centre and the braid.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
After I'd already given my (y) on the Sirio 5000 (that I've been using for a few years), I saw a pasture that looks a bit greener [i.e. the President "Texas" 7/8 wave antenna] which appears to be a monster. Seems to get very good reviews from the UK and EU. I was going to pull the trigger on it when I found out that the ones sold in the US have a 3/8 thread mount, everywhere else in the world it's sold with a PL, and every mount I have is PL. Does anyone know of a Stateside source where I can get that version?

After I'd already given my (y) on the Sirio 5000 (that I've been using for a few years), I saw a pasture that looks a bit greener [i.e. the President "Texas" 7/8 wave antenna] which appears to be a monster. Seems to get very good reviews from the UK and EU. I was going to pull the trigger on it when I found out that the ones sold in the US have a 3/8 thread mount, everywhere else in the world it's sold with a PL, and every mount I have is PL. Does anyone know of a Stateside source where I can get that version?

Try Nevada Radio or A-1 Telecom

It’s the Sirio/Wilson killer.

Bobby and I don’t need more than 4W mag-mount to get from Fort Worth to San Angelo and back. (Yes, we each own one, and, OKAY it was with dual final radios).

AMERICAN RADIO SUPPLY
ARS-SO23938F. $24.99

Last edited:
Reactions: Woody-202
After I'd already given my (y) on the Sirio 5000 (that I've been using for a few years), I saw a pasture that looks a bit greener [i.e. the President "Texas" 7/8 wave antenna] which appears to be a monster.

It isn't a 7/8 wave antenna unless its almost 32ft long. No amount of winding of wire and loading coils will turn a 6ft 9in antenna on 11m into a 7/8 wave or even 5/8 wave. No 11m mobile antenna is more than 1/4 wave regardless of manufacturer's claims. It is nothing more than a 2 metre whip with a matching coil at its base to give a 50 Ohm feedpoint impedance, the same as a Sirio, a Wilson or any other mobile antenna that isn't a 1/4 wave whip.

It isn't a 7/8 wave antenna unless its almost 32ft long. No amount of winding of wire and loading coils will turn a 6ft 9in antenna on 11m into a 7/8 wave or even 5/8 wave. No 11m mobile antenna is more than 1/4 wave regardless of manufacturer's claims. It is nothing more than a 2 metre whip with a matching coil at its base to give a 50 Ohm feedpoint impedance, the same as a Sirio, a Wilson or any other mobile antenna that isn't a 1/4 wave whip.

Yes physics.To re-phrase: It's a "Big-A" antenna that's marketed as being 7/8...:whistle:

Try Nevada Radio or A-1 Telecom

Bobby and I don’t need more than 4W mag-mount to get from Fort Worth to San Angelo and back. (Yes, we each own one, and, OKAY it was with dual final radios).

AMERICAN RADIO SUPPLY
ARS-SO23938F. $24.99

Tnx Slomover. I checked a lot of the US stores and only found the 3/8 thread mount. I've toyed with the idea of popping a Ham-Stik on the roof sometime but never had the mount so I decided to go with the "Texas" in the 3/8 mount, and a multi-magnet base so that down the road I can put a Ham-Stik on it whenever I want.

Tnx Slomover. I checked a lot of the US stores and only found the 3/8 thread mount. I've toyed with the idea of popping a Ham-Stik on the roof sometime but never had the mount so I decided to go with the "Texas" in the 3/8 mount, and a multi-magnet base so that down the road I can put a Ham-Stik on it whenever I want.

I found my triple magnet mount. (I also found installed carpeting not seen since the Obama years, hmmm). Time for aluminum polish. See how things look on the CTD roof with that President.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.