• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

mobile antenna for a big truck

What's the VERY BEST antenna I can buy ? Useing a wilson 2000 now , its not bad but I know there is better.

Height and length are your two big factors. Assuming it will be mounted at the same location to improve performance you need a longer antenna. It is that simple.

Any other antenna of near the same length should perform about the same as the one you have, unless your current antenna has a problem.

Of course, with a big truck you also have to consider hitting things like tree branches and overhead wires. A stainless steel whip is better here, perhaps with a spring if it happens often.

The DB

'DB' has it right. The best you can do is a 'full sized' antenna. The shorter ones can certainly be more convenient, or practical, but they are not as affective. The difference may not be much less, but it's still less affective. Will an inch or two make a lot of difference? Not really, but a foot or two certainly can. Don't get carried away with that 'longer' thingy, there's a limit. That limit for HF is generally a 1/4 wave length. The things advertised as 5/8 wave antennas that are NOT something like 22 feet long are NOT 5/8 wave antennas. They are just advertising 'stuff'. (Works real good as fertilizer but not for much else.)
- 'Doc

What kind of truck and wheres the antenna gonna be mounted

doesn't matter if he's using a wilson 2000 trucker then the p10-k will mount in it's location and perform better, just don't use the double coil version unless height is an absolute issue.

That can matter actually. But just from a mounting standpoint. Some of the factory provided mounts are really weak, and the 10k has a large wind footprint. The newest Freightliner doesn't even have a place to mount one on the mirror. No bar style mirror bracket. The factory mount on that one is up high on the sleeper behind the doors and I have heard its pretty weak.
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

doesn't matter if he's using a wilson 2000 trucker then the p10-k will mount in it's location and perform better, just don't use the double coil version unless height is an absolute issue.

Height will likely be an issue. The antenna is being mounted what, 8 to 10 feet off the ground? That is higher even than the roof of the ever popular suburban. We are talking about a big truck here. As was also mentioned the existing mount may not be able to handle a predator well, these antennas drag a lot of air which puts pressure on the mount itself.

That being said, anything longer than what he has will likely have similar issues and will likely need an upgraded mount anyway.

If he does go Predator he will likely be limited to the dual coil version, unless there is a ton of overhead clearance everywhere he goes.

The DB

You got the right idea for mounting on that columbia. Those mounts built into the mirrors wouldn't hold a 10k. Drop a tape measure from that bar to the ground, but I bet The DB is right, and you are right about 8 feet up to the mirror bar. So either a dual coil or bull horn mounting.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Thought about useing the bottom mirror bar & angleing the antenna fwd. Some. Bottom bar is like 6 feet high. What about that ? And ofcorse a really good mount. :unsure:

Franis 5 1/2' footer's are the easest way to go. Mount on the pig tail bar on the back of cab or sleeper. You can put a spring on the mount so it won't be damaged by the trees. This is a bullet proof way mount a antenna on a big truck. Buy the best coax you can afford at the proper length for the install. Your 2000 will work just fine like this too! I use both brands of these antennas on the trucks I drive. Since I slip seat all the time . My antennas are mounted with heavy duty vise grips. Weld a peice of flat iron with a hole for the antenna you're good to go! Useing the cheap truck stop version with a Wilson will break the bead. Good luck and have a safe trip!

get a good mirror bracket stand it straight up
get a Predator mount
12 inch shaft 10k with Comp coil

I got my k40 bcmax antennas and my mounts for my Peterbilt. I might have to mount them about 8 inchs inword on the mirror main support for support reasons. Is this gonna cause any issues.?

I drive a Columbia and have a 10K on the drivers side.

The mount is a simple two bolt and it never moves, super light antenna.

I would recommend a dual coil, mine is a 9" shaft single and the stinger is dinged up a bit. The 13'8" and lower bridges a few and far between, but they will get you sometimes.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.