• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

mobile antenna mount

earthwater

Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2011
maine
hello everyone
ya it's been a while

i have a 2004 chevy 2500 quadsteer i need advice on the better way to mount
my mobile ham radio antennas. with out the drilling a hole in the roof.
my options are either a back rack or steak hole.opps correction (stake)
i have a few pics of my truck here. i am open for any other idea .
and places to get the right mount.
my 2m/440 and my ft897 hf w/yaesu atas-120a

thanks for reading

randy

Attachments

• DSC00122.JPG
    DSC00122.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 221
  • DSC00123.JPG
    DSC00123.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 205
  • DSC00124.JPG
    DSC00124.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:

FWIW
I had a 2004 Silverado that had both VHF and HF antennas mounted on it. I had a couple of holes in the roof but needed one more VHF antenna so put it on the hood. First using an 'L' bracket in the hood/fender gap, then just drilled a hole in the hood for a permanent mount. The 'L' bracket worked fine, just got in the way when under the hood sometimes.
I also had a screwdriver antenna mounted to the tool box (like yours). It took up a little bit of bed 'room', but worked just dandy too. Nothing wrong with the stake-hole idea, but I didn't want the antenna that close to the cab. The top of that tool box isn't the bestest place for an antenna mount, opening the box tends to 'whack' the cab with the antenna. So, I put it on the 'front' of the box (the 'front' facing the back of the truck that is).
I didn't want to drill holes in my truck either, but found out it really isn't a 'bad' as it seems if you do it right.
- 'Doc

Not sure why, but the photos don't seem to be coming up on a post I did about an install on the same truck using a mount that bolts to the hood hinge.
http://www.worldwidedx.com/vhf-uhf-...nstall-late-model-chevy-truck-quick-easy.html
scrap-r-albums-8800r-install-picture2641-fullantenna2-sm.jpg

The rest of the photos are in an album here --> http://www.worldwidedx.com/members/scrap-r-albums-8800r-install.html

I've since added a mag mount to the roof with RG8X coax that runs down the back of the cab and enters the cab through one of the cab vent louvers, which worked out well. I know a couple of others that have used the same mount, but ran the coax in to the cab through the brake light lens above the window.

... and there's always the 'knock-outs' in almost all vehicle's floors for that feed line routing.
- 'Doc

(Stay off of the drive shaft and exhaust system though! :))

Thank you all for the replies.
the breedlove site is awesome. ty

Scrap'r ty the install you mentioned will work for me.
the photos are a big help.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?