• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

mobile antenna question

Joe

I will be getting my Yaesu FT 7800R this week and I will be needing an antenna

I have a 3.5 inch Larson mag mount that I will be using and attaching a Larson dual band coil and whip to it.

I have the Larson NMO Coil and a Larson 49 inch whip sutable for a CB and I undestand why I can't use the coil for my ham radio but why can't I use the 49 inch steel whip?

I mean the whip I will be buying for my ham set up will be a 49 inch Larson steel whip, whats the differance?

Thanks

Joe,
I think the only difference will be 'mechanical'. At least for the 49" whip. How does it mount to the coil? Same threads, whatever? Theres no real difference in the whip it's self, just in how it's connected/mounted. I'd probably get the other complete antenna. Having an 'extra' whip never hurts...
- 'Doc

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
Thanks guys

From what I see its a steel whip much like the one I have for my CB, only my CB antenna was 15 dollars and the ham whip is 35 dollars

The coil looks identical tot the CB coil I have, both made by the same company.

Its a holiday here this Monday, but Tuesday the store will be open :D and I'll pick up the radio and antenna and post what the difference is and why its twice the price.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.