• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile Antenna Recommendation

Pontia787

Feb 22, 2023
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum but have been playing with radios for, at least, 25 years. I got a Technician license a few years back and have been using it mainly for 2m. I haven't been on 11 meters in about 10 years but recently found that export radios have gotten a lot smaller and will actually fit in my current car. I am strongly considering the Anytone AT-6666 radio because of its power, SSB capability, and generally good reviews. I'm looking for a recommendation on what antenna setup will give me the best performance for my situation. I drive a Forester with a 2m antenna in the center of the roof.

I'm thinking either a K30 or Firestik Firefly 3' magnet mounted in the center of the roof (I will move my 2m antenna to a back corner or the roof), or a Firestik FireFly 4' mounted with an SS-204 hatch mount high as possible, probably on the passenger side. I'm trying not to go more than 3 1/2' above the roof line.

I also considered the Wilson Silver load, Hustler 4' FG27S, Skip Shooter, etc.

I currently have both a Wilson 1000 lip mount and a Wilson 2000 trucker with a 22" lower shaft. Both are long for what I'm trying to achieve but I may give the trucker a try with the rear hatch mount.

Let me know your thoughts and suggestions for other options. There is a lot out there!

Thanks!

Thanks. I ended up with a 4’ Firefly. I tested it on a mag mount and was able to talk to the West Indies from New Hampshire. I got a Comet hatch mount that I hope to install today. I’m adding a quick disconnect so I can play around with different antenna options.

I also built a horizontal Dipole and threw it up in the attic for testing. With that I have talked to Wales, England, and Germany. Of course some stateside contacts as well. I’m really enjoying the AT-6666.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated