• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile antenna

Ziploc

Mar 19, 2016
Good evening guys , I know these are on the lower end of quality but which 1 would perform better . Tram 3500 mag mount or tram open coil . The tram 3500 is a Wilson 1000 knockoff. Thanks you

Attachments

• FE612A1D-A430-4CF4-A31C-09EE9E2F7C81.jpeg
    FE612A1D-A430-4CF4-A31C-09EE9E2F7C81.jpeg
    74.6 KB · Views: 15

Good evening guys , I know these are on the lower end of quality but which 1 would perform better . Tram 3500 mag mount or tram open coil . The tram 3500 is a Wilson 1000 knockoff. Thanks you

They're almost identical in spec'd total length; the base load being a couple inches longer.

With equal placement on the roof of a vehicle I doubt you would see any performance difference whatsoever.

But.....I would take your mounting location into account with your antenna selection.

They're almost identical in spec'd total length; the base load being a couple inches longer.

With equal placement on the roof of a vehicle I doubt you would see any performance difference whatsoever.

But.....I would take your mounting location into account with your antenna selection.

There’s always a number of factors that have to be taken into account with selecting an antenna. If performance was always the only goal, every CBer would have a solid fighting stick on the roof.

I generally want the longest antenna I can run, in the highest possible location centered on the roof. From there, it’s a series of compromises.

In addition to the things you commonly hear..

Some folks are very concerned with have an antenna that stays upright at highway speeds. I’ve never worried about that, and strongly prefer antennas with soft supple whips that will snake through trees on dirt roads without sustaining damage. The Wilson baseloads are a winner in that regard.

Another factor I always consider is how conspicuous an antenna is. I don’t want anything that attracts people....one, because I don’t want things stolen, and two, because I don’t want to talk to them.

And the last...is I want an antenna that isn’t overly stressful on a mount. Some are just to big, bulky and wind resistant to be considered practical.

I’m many ways these factors are as important as performance...a stolen or broken antenna has none.

There’s always a number of factors that have to be taken into account with selecting an antenna. If performance was always the only goal, every CBer would have a solid fighting stick on the roof.

I generally want the longest antenna I can run, in the highest possible location centered on the roof. From there, it’s a series of compromises.

In addition to the things you commonly hear..

Some folks are very concerned with have an antenna that stays upright at highway speeds. I’ve never worried about that, and strongly prefer antennas with soft supple whips that will snake through trees on dirt roads without sustaining damage. The Wilson baseloads are a winner in that regard.

Another factor I always consider is how conspicuous an antenna is. I don’t want anything that attracts people....one, because I don’t want things stolen, and two, because I don’t want to talk to them.

And the last...is I want an antenna that isn’t overly stressful on a mount. Some are just to big, bulky and wind resistant to be considered practical.

I’m many ways these factors are as important as performance...a stolen or broken antenna has none.

Well said.

Having recently had an $85 dollar antenna stolen, yes.

“My fault” for leaving it attached not five minutes gone from tractor at a truckstop. (Right).

For this reason the Sirio 4000 is a better choice than the 5000. Same length, same S point for S point but it has a thinner whip which is less wind resistance. Downside is narrower bandwidth below 2:1 than the 5000 but it's still sufficient to cover enough of 11m to make the freebanders happy, even covering the entirety of legal channels here in the UK from 26.956MHz (CEPT Ch1) to 27.99125MHz (UK Ch40) and of course the 27.555MHz freebanding in between those.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated