• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile ball mount converter to base antenna mount

Cody Dixson

May 3, 2020
Just wanted to toss this on here and get some feedback first home brew antenna ive ever made so if im missing something or could improve something please let me know!
20200908_144859.jpg 20200908_144927.jpg 20200908_144914.jpg 20200908_144909.jpg 20200908_144859.jpg 20200908_144907.jpg 20200908_153206.jpg
I've got it mounted to a 8ft top rail and then attach to another preexisting pole that was already on the roof for an old TV anttenna and the 6 radials pulled down to the house some of them are close to 45⁰ but some are far from it due to a lack paracord

The current swrs are 1.5-1.7 lmk if i can get this any lower simply by moving the radials around

Last edited:
Reactions: Handy Andy

Cody: What you may find, is your radials are different lengths.
Those "jumper" wires you used to tie them together are adding length to those sides. They may be looking slightly longer now, on those sides.
Also the separation will affect tuning somewhat also. (the angle between them), plus as you noticed the angle up/dwn from aprox. 45 degs will change the impedance also.
The "trick" to note is the VSWR curve, if lower VSWR say on channel 1 and increases as you go up in frequency, then the radials look long...and the reverse...
Guessing some of them look long...The true VSWR of a 1/4 wave vertical should be around 1.5:1 when resonant. Maybe "slightly" less. The adding of a spring will most likely move the antenna down the band, and raise the VSWR on the top frequencies.
I would leave the 102" whip as is, and tweak the spacing and angle on the radials before ever considering adjusting the length of the vertical element.
All the Best
Gary

@BJ radionut thanks for the input I'll definitely grab some more rope to get better mounting position to get closer to 45⁰. I didnt know that would add length to the ground radials but it makes sense if you think about how an antenna and even coax. Ill try to find a metal washer or something of the sort I can place inbetween the pvc pipe cap and ball mount with a nylon washer or that same plastic bracket inbetween the ball mount and metal washer. Eliminating the need for the jump wires. Definitely a fun experience!

Reactions: Handy Andy
fdim4-17.gif

ButterAtFD.jpg

Reactions: Slowmover
Cody: I don't think I would change much at this point, till you move things around a little. Then see if anything changes.
Another thought, if you don't have any more para-cord... H/D weed eater line works well also.
How did you terminate the ends of the radials? Insulator...Loop the ends? that can affect things also...
( not a lot but be interested to know..)
Your VERY close...so I would not make any major changes at this point...Just "tweaks"
All the Best
Gary

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated