• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile installs aren't fun

I went back to see your pics, That's not the proper way to choke off CMC from a coax line. You need to coil the coax right under the feed point. The coax coil itself is a form of a choke but the ferrite beads add to the choking impedance to be more effective. More beads can be added if needed like in the pic below.

View attachment 59862

Here's a link to K0BG website and the chapter on CMC

Palomar Engineers offers some choke options similar to what I made. There are a few frequency/impedance graphs if you are interested in learning more about different choking methods.

Why so intent on putting a common mode current choke inline? I have zero issues with common mode and i dont know of anyone else who has either. Its unnecessary in a mobile install for the most part. Just wondering.

Why so intent on putting a common mode current choke inline? I have zero issues with common mode and i dont know of anyone else who has either. Its unnecessary in a mobile install for the most part. Just wondering.
I don't know of anything that will be hurt by choking, and choking can significantly reduce many problems in a mobile. I can tell you that my 955hp would blink the seatbelt light and a few others barefoot, and now at 10 times the output I have only seen the seatbelt light flicker a few times. The only significant difference now is a choke, less bonding, and 955hp vs ic7100 into an 8 pill splatter box. Either way, I'd rather choke a little now when the headliner is out.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.