• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile rig antennas removal

ke7vvt

May 15, 2009
How easily is to to remove an antenna after it has been installed? I have a Diamond MR77 Diamond MR77 Dual Band Mobile Antenna and the antenna "wire" could be removed but the mag mount would have to be cut off if someone wanted to steal "the whole antenna". Most other antennas I have looked at are the UHF style or NMO, and both just screw into the mount, mag or permanent.

Is there a way to keep the screw on antenna on the vehicle so no one will steal it? I am thinking of getting a more permanent mount and am wondering if there is a different connector style or something to prevent the antenna from being stolen. Or is that not a common occurrence?

John,
There's just no sure way of preventing someone from stealing an antenna. Just like there's no sure way of not having your car stolen, unless your car isn't there to be stolen. Then somebody would just steal it from where ever you didn't move it from, right?
The one way I can think of to at least make it more difficult to do, is to use 'Locktite' on the mount threads. But then, if you need to take it off, you've got problems too. See where that's going?
There's only one other method I'm familiar with (heard about, anyway), and that's with the famous "Trunk Monkey" anti-theft prevention scheme. You may have heard of them, they advertise on 'U-Tube'/'Put-File' I think.
Good luck!
- 'Doc

Every mobile antenna I know of screws into the base. Face it,if someone wants your antenna they will take it no matter what.If they can't take it off easily they will smash things until it comes off. If you never want to remove it yourself how about using a little LockTite on the threads? :whistle:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.