• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile rig

parttimehammer

Jun 26, 2011
I am looking for a mobile unit I could use as a base station, I already have the antenna for a base station, but really want more power than the 5W on my handi talkie. Been looking online, looks like the cheapest ones out there are still about $250. Was hoping for something a little less, say under $150 if I could do it. I only paid $110 for my handitalkie, with programming cable.

If you are looking for only a 2 meter radio then a Kenwood TM-281 is something like $138.00 depending on who you get it from. A dual band radio is going to be more, no idea how much, depends on brand.
- 'Doc

Check out the used equipment lists on Universal Radio, AES and Ham Radio Outlet. Sometimes, you can pick up a good deal, plus they usually give you a warranty/return window.

I've bought many a used or demo item from Universal. I can't recall having any issue. Safer than buying off eBay, EHAM and F'wed's site.

Universal has a Kenwood TM-271A for $109.95 + $9.95 shipping. Tax free if'n your outta Ohio.

60 day warranty as well.

I'd go the extra few bucks and get the TM-281 though. Kenwood has a $25 promotional coupon on it until June, 30th.

Universal has a Kenwood TM-271A for $109.95 + $9.95 shipping. Tax free if'n your outta Ohio.

60 day warranty as well.

I'd go the extra few bucks and get the TM-281 though. Kenwood has a $25 promotional coupon on it until June, 30th.

Ya, I would like to have 440 also, but I'm guessing that will bump the cost up higher. Although, come to think of it, I only use 440 when 2M won't work..hmmm

I use the HT with the Diamond X50 antenna on the base sometimes. Doesn't have a problem hitting any of the many repeaters here in the Bay Area of CA with 5w. But for simplex, it doesn't cut it too well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned