• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile Rigs - Static, interference, and thoughts on these issues...

No noticable difference. I did note that as I was testing SWR, my neighbor across the alley using his plasma cutter, I could hear when he pulled the trigger to cut.

I'll snap another on tomorrow.

What’s the latest?

Well, I have noticed the fuel pump and ECM noise is not as noticeable. Now, I have clear receive until I hit around 50-55MPH, and it starts sounding garbled, like someone is talking thru water. I have put the spring back in the antenna, put a DXE snap-on ferrite about 6" from the base of the antenna, and connected the Texas Star 250 (has auto SSB) into it. I also put a braided ground strap about 4" long from tailpipe to frame, basically using it to jumper across the rubber hanger about a foot or 2 from the end of the exhaust.

I'll get pics of everything I have going and post them up here, maybe someone can explain the garbled sound at speed.

Ok, starting at the radio, I have the jumper I believe I posted before. 0823201348a.jpg

This goes to the back of the amp0823201349a.jpg

The coax to the antenna then goes thru the body, along the frame, across a crossmember above the fuel tank, to the rear crossmember. 0823201348.jpg

You can see the coax them goes down under the crossmember, and this then goes up to the mount stud of the 102" antenna.0823201406_HDR.jpg

I lightly sanded the tailpipe to remove dirt and mud, then used a clamp to hold it to the pipe. The bottom of the bolt is clean, and threads are clean, so it has good connection.

Where is your RF ground? It's literally the top surface of that box section of steel the mount is bolted into, that's it. You have none, regardless of what you measure with a DC multimeter - I bet if you were to connect to that antenna using an antenna analyser with a short bit of coax and see what the value of R was when it got as near to resonance as it'll ever hope to be that it's dozens of ohms away from the perfect ground reading of 36.8 Ohms.You have an antenna with no metal under it, mounted low to the ground, an inch or two away from adjacent metal for the part of the antenna where the highest RF current flows. The only way it could be made any worse would be if it was stuck out from the vehicle on an arm bolted to that bracket. You would do much better getting a shorter antenna such as a 6ft Sirio and mounting it on the fender. Yes it'll be directional but so is what you have now but it'll work a whole lot better.

Until you relocate that antenna you'll never solve the problems. You cannot solve the issues where it's mounted.

Reactions: Slowmover
Where is your RF ground? It's literally the top surface of that box section of steel the mount is bolted into, that's it. You have none, regardless of what you measure with a DC multimeter - I bet if you were to connect to that antenna using an antenna analyser with a short bit of coax and see what the value of R was when it got as near to resonance as it'll ever hope to be that it's dozens of ohms away from the perfect ground reading of 36.8 Ohms.You have an antenna with no metal under it, mounted low to the ground, an inch or two away from adjacent metal for the part of the antenna where the highest RF current flows. The only way it could be made any worse would be if it was stuck out from the vehicle on an arm bolted to that bracket. You would do much better getting a shorter antenna such as a 6ft Sirio and mounting it on the fender. Yes it'll be directional but so is what you have now but it'll work a whole lot better.

Until you relocate that antenna you'll never solve the problems. You cannot solve the issues where it's mounted.

In other words, Time to Experiment!!

That always calls for a fresh bottle of gin. The season for an icy Tom Collins is still with us.

Can’t go wrong with Boodles (brand).

Reactions: Cutlass327
Although I'm not a drinker - per se...

That always calls for a fresh bottle of gin. The season for an icy Tom Collins is still with us.

Considering I have some old friends in Hammond LA...(they're fine just a big windy thunderstorm)

I'll take your offer - stirred, not shaken
upload_2020-8-27_21-52-12.png

Oh forgot to mention, Cutlass, we poured a Glass for you too...

We'll figure this grounding issue out, once we find solid (dry) ground again...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.