• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Modding Ramsey kits for 40 meters

KF5FUR

Mar 28, 2010
Republic of Texas
I had a thought the other day, and keep in mind this is all for the sake of excitement of building, modifying and experimenting my own radios.

Could I cobble together a radio set the work CW on 40 meters, here's my idea. (BTW keep in mind I could never learn CW, I have a lot of trouble with it, as I did with Spanish in school, so I compare it to learning to write and listen to a spoken foreign language.)

Now lets start with the basis of the idea. Ramsey Rx and Tx kits as well as the Tx amp and possibly the keyer kit.

QRP40C Tx
QRP20-W.gif
HR40C Rx
HR-Series-W.gif
QAMP40C Amplifier
QAMP-W.gif
CW7C Keyer
cw7-W.gif
(may not be necessary)

Now with all these hooked together properly, I wanted to add a few more blank Ramsey cases (just like the ones there) for frequency counters with LCD displays for both Tx and Rx units. Also a CW translator also with LCD display, its just needs to be linked to the Rx unit via a audio cable and then finally a text to CW translator unit, using a inputted keyboard, you can buy or build units that have several different options like; input tone, speed, and some others.

So all in all that's 8 cases stacked for a bank of units feeding off of a power supply, with the possible exception of the keyer, which may only run off of a 9v battery only, in which case can be located externally of the case since the cases may be mounted in a larger project box.

Let me know what you think.

I've done a lot of kit building. It's fun and a learning experiance and Ramsey kits are excellent and affordable. Go for it and post picts of the build and completed station!

Don't worry about what we think. (y)

It could certainly be done but the effort and the expense will hardly be worth the overall outcome performance wise. As far as educational and experience value, only you can determine that value. It sounds like it could be fun to do.

Nearly All Descrete Component 30m or 40m CW Transceiver - QRPKits

OHR 100A CW TRANSCEIVER KIT

KF5FUR: I applaud you for thought of building your own Qrp gear...Bravo!
But may I offer a piece of advice from a Novice kit builder?
Ramsey's are junk! Yes you can make them work but designs are really marginal...AT BEST! Instructions are really lousy IMHO
Look around at the links I offer. These are quality kits, well designed and geared toward the Novice to experienced builder.
You will find kits from KD1JV Steve to be excellent and functional as well
Vectronics Kits are and excellent place to begin your building pleasure.
I built maybe 5 or 6 of the Vectronics transmitters/keyers/memory keyers etc...Easy to assemble/good documentation and functional.

I also have built some Transceivers and they were a blast!
I still have them...The "Melt Solder" 15m transceiver...I actually work Steve KD1JV with one of his own kits!...
The one I built had a small production run (like 50 units) He had never worked one outside of the club project when they designed them....Now that was COOL!
The Oak Hills OHR100A/20m is a Great Radio/excellent rx and very functional!

I have told this story here before, I think....but Indiana to Hawaii with a $30 Vectronics/20m Xmitter running 200mW....that's .2 watts...with a Home-brew wire antenna and a 30 yr old Kenwood R-599D receiver...
I logged well over 100 countries with the Oak Hills and the Melt Solder 15 rigs...
Look around you can spend your hard earned $$ and get some excellent experience and have some real RADIOFUN with much better kits than offered by Ramsey...I built a couple I know...those are in the parts junk box!
Others I spoke of are STILL working and functional...
GL...We are here to help
All the Best
BJ

PS: If I can learn and enjoy CW...ANYONE CAN!...Check out NAQCC website...great bunch I am #77

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.