• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Modulation Meters

Greg T

WDX-945 (Jazz Singer) Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Sep 18, 2014
Escanaba, Michigan
Does anyone know of a moderately priced modulation meter that can be used to roughly set up a radio? I'm talking about something that goes into the coax antenna line and somehow samples the audio. I've seen Dosy meters with the modulation option on them, but then I'm paying for a bunch of other crap that I don't want. I have a great Daiwa 901 in line all the time, but I was looking for something I could add inline for a few minutes to set my mic gain and then remove.

an rf sampler connected to an automatic modulation meter and a 1khz tone injected., or an oscilloscope. the only way to do it. everything else are just cb toys
I realize that, but sometimes those CB toys have some use to them. Since I can't hear my own transmitted signal, I would kinda like a way to set up the audio so that I'm not one of those channel 6 sounding dudes.

I realize that, but sometimes those CB toys have some use to them. Since I can't hear my own transmitted signal, I would kinda like a way to set up the audio so that I'm not one of those channel 6 sounding dudes.
How about a cheapie radio across the shack as a monitor radio?

I've got an old browning brownie just for that, it works pretty good to hear what audio sounds like from another receiver. Of course it's only an ear test with no lab type accuracy

A scope is the only real way to check modulation. That feature on a watt meter I think is just their for those that love to watch the needle dance. Even one that might be set up right will be ballpark at best.

Reactions: Greg T
How about a cheapie radio across the shack as a monitor radio?

I've got an old browning brownie just for that, it works pretty good to hear what audio sounds like from another receiver. Of course it's only an ear test with no lab type accuracy
Yeah, I thought about that. Kind of a pain, getting up to turn it on and off but it would work. That's all I'm after anyway is just makes sure I'm not sounding like I'm talking through cellophane or a kazoo.

A scope is the only real way to check modulation. That feature on a watt meter I think is just their for those that love to watch the needle dance. Even one that might be set up right will be ballpark at best.

There's just no way I'm spending the money on a scope that would be used a few times a year, plus, I do not have the room for such an item. A ballpark reference is all I'm looking for.

The way I do it now is to watch my power meter while saying aaaaahhhhhhhhhh into the mic, and turning the mic gain control. I start with it low, take a long breath and say ahhhh while turning it up and watching the power output increase. When it stops increasing, I stop turning and back it down a little. Then try it again. I do this because I know I don't speak as loud as I say ahhhhhhhh, and that the peaks of my voice are probably just tickling that level.

Reactions: Eldorado828

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.