• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Monoband recommendation?

Se7en

Jun 27, 2010
Ca
Looking for something simple that ops on vhf and a second rig that operates uhf. Prefer mobile rig for my second base install.

Something under $200 even better under $100?
I like yaesu icom and kenwood so manufacturer doesn't concern me. I'm done with "dual band" rigs for a while and want to try the monoband approach.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

I'm a Kenwood fan so for a monoband VHF radio I think the TM-281 can't be beat. Can't tell you what the model number of the UHF version is but there is one ('481/'471??). That's about as simple as you can get and they do have a very nice receiver. More a personal preference than anything I guess, but they seem to 'fit' me very well.
- 'Doc

Reactions: 1 person
ft 2900r seems pretty bomb proof. It's $125 at HRO right now. The Kenwood tm281 is a bit smaller and pretty cheap on HRO. These are 2m only. I've used them both and like them a lot.

Looking for something simple that ops on vhf and a second rig that operates uhf. Prefer mobile rig for my second base install.

Something under $200 even better under $100?
I like yaesu icom and kenwood so manufacturer doesn't concern me. I'm done with "dual band" rigs for a while and want to try the monoband approach.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Se7ven
What was it about the dual band rigs that turned you away from them?
(pm me if you want) so as not to have your thread jacked.
or if it pertinent to your thread post here, thanks.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.