• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

More on the Galaxy DX-88HL Project

RatsoW8

Supporting Member, W9WDX ARC Member - WD8T
Nov 3, 2009
West Central Michigan
For anyone interested in the Galaxy DX-88HL. I picked up this radio for song. Good condition and it receives very well up through 10 meters but, had almost zero output in any mode. I solved that by installing a new driver and an RFX 75 final unit.

During the alignment I discovered both the SSB ALC (VR12) and AMC (VR14) were disabled. So I did the rest of the alignment and left it alone until last night. I found evidence of the "Golden Screwdriver" of course.

Both TR32 and TR53 were hacked (missing) completely off the board and R249was clipped on one side. The transistors were cut off and not unsoldered. The resistor was an easy fix and I think an old Cobra 25 parts radio I have may have the two 2sc945 traisistors I need to replace the two missing transistors.

Afther that I should be in business and will probably sell the radio and buy another radio in need of some TLC. Anyway this 88 seems rock solid on SSB despite Galaxy's rep for drift-o-matic SSB performance. The frequency counter stabilizes after about 5 minutes and tracks right along with my Kenwood TS-140S. The radio does have terrible adjacent channel rejection in SSB mode though and you have to be at least 5kc away from any station that's s9 or stronger which is no big deal with CB channel spacing of 5kc +. Seems to work really well on AM on the CB channels though. I had my better half talk to me in the truck about 7 miles from home and with a Turner +3 mic it sounds great on AM.

Heck, If I can get it working this well on 10m SSB I may just toss it in the truck and retire my HR-2510. :D

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.