• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

more power on the band above the chicken band

351_bear

I'm having troubles with more power on higher bands than on the regular 40 channels I think it maybe caused by my antenna not being high enough off the shop roof right i have a 8 ft francis for a base antenna and it sits about a foot high off the roof of the shop and the shop roof is tin could someone tell me if thats whats causing the high power on the higher bands

weather you go up or down frequancies /and how your antenna is tuned /or what kind of antenna you have ? .....chances are the SWR is going to change and as far as watt readings go ....chances are your readings are going to change the higher the SWR goes.......I really dont think it has anything to do with the hight of your arial ? I ran a 8ft Fransis on a steel box on top of a apartment building many years ago ....I had great clearance and talked all over the world on that antenna ..You say your 1ft off the tin roof ? How so ? I would think your Fransis would love to just bite right into that tin roof by itself !! Hmmm

?

Right now im using a hr 2510 its hooked into a 100 watt base amp but this only happens when i go up on channels say im using channel 20 on regular 40 channels it doesnt put out the right power when i moved up to 27.425 my power went up my freind i was talking to says man your a mud duck down on 20 now your blowin smoke up here on 27.425 i couldnt figure it out becuase on my truck i used the same antenna and never had this problem

How do you have that antenna grounded or should i say what are you useing as a ground plane? Chances are your SWR is lower on the higher chanels so you will tranmit better there.

Ahh metal roof I take it? How is the swr on it? Beleive it or not if you were to take it off the pole and mount it directly to the roof that is if its metel you would get out better. I tried for a long time to mount a fiberglass whip to a pole grounded to my air conditioner and it would never tune good up high but if I moved it down the pole it would lower the swr I ended up mounting directly to the air conditioner and got a 1:3 match. :)

if your vswr is ok across the band you are using i would have somebody check the radio on a dummyload to make sure the rf strip is aligned correctly, maybe the radio is actually putting more power out on the higher frequencies, all our early uniden 2830's came from the factory like that on tx and rx, below 28 mhz they would drop in output and rx sensitivity untill you had less than half power on 26 mhz and a receiver as deaf as a post

I agree with bob, i had a early production 2510 years ago that was great on the "uppers" but suffered, as i went lower in frequency. check out the 2510 on cb tricks it should help you out. if rogerbird happens to get on here i'm certian he can point you in the right direction or do it for you. in my opinion there are about 4-5 great techs here in the U.S. when it comes to the 2510 sereies of radios. the rest have their own areas of expertise this isn't one of them.
i run a 2510 had galaxies and went back to the 2510 in my opinion if talk primarily on ssb this is probably one of the best out there especially with a chipswitch. and a few other mods. good luck let us know how you make out. 73

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.